explain the caliper change..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by jockmonkey, Nov 17, 2003.

1. jockmonkey New Member

just got my 16v gti 1988, and it is away for its MOT. Bloke i bought it off had left it standing since august, hence it has failed its mot on the rear handbrake/seized calipers.

the garage have been very helpful, but advised me that should it need new calipers they will do that.

If I have to get new calipers and handbrake cables, I should not put mk2 calipers back on, as my car will often stand for 2 or three weeks when I am away with work, obviusly mk3 rear calipers are the way to go, what should i tell them to get? Will it need new pads and brake pipes, and does the mk3 caliper go straight on the same way as a mk2??

Thanks for the help and advice

Jamie
    Edited by: jockmonkey

2. Jettin' Forum Member

I think that it fits straight on. ring awesome gti and ask what is needed with their mk3 brake conversions.

3. edc1 Forum Member

If you're standing the car for any long period of time you should avoid using handbrake.

4. jockmonkey New Member

thanks guys, especially the car standing bit, hope the missus can cope with me leaving the car in first all the time..

It got through the garage work by loads of elbow grease and copper ease on the cables and brakes, so calipers are a 2nd priority job, e.g. once i get a 2nd hand mk3 pair, then I will sort it, off to fix that awful stalling problem and jjjummmppy "jumpy" speedo first.. but very happy[:D] with a 88 F 16v with 108k and a 12month MOT for 600, very tidy but some rust on the filler cap area to sort too[​IMG]

jamie