Fake steering wheels

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mat-mk3, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

2. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Iv got a cheapo momo one that Im pretty sure is fake, quality is very good but it was just too cheap, came in a momo box and everything bought from ebay and looks identical to the omp one above, stitching, yellow band and holes all the same, but mines got the large horn push case the bolts go through. My only concern with it is how much will it bend in a crash compared to a genuine one as looks wise its a very good fake, just quality it may lack.

3. mat-mk3

Not that I think it would make a difference but my box is different. I will take a pic tomorrow.

4. mat-mk3

Took the camera but left the card in my PC so didnt get any pics[8(]
    So how did you get your horn working? It seems the OMP button has a spring on the side that pushes into the side of the steering wheel. And then you connect the wire to the back of the button.
    But it seems my "titanium" look wheel is non conductive so it doesnt work:lol:
    Going to have to make up a tiny bit of cable to bolt under one of the bolts to get a good earth on the boss kit.

5. mat-mk3

Here are some pics of mine, I have also noticed the different stitching.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Admin Guest

Could it be an older design? Selling them of cheaply? It does look good if it is a copy.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

unless the stitching was coming apart so changed design?

8. mat-mk3

But if it was an old or changed design why not say that? People would prefer to pay for that (even i would) then be unsure on the old "From a show car" line.

9. Willber Forum Member

How is it Matt? I have seen on identical to yours on eBay for very good price. 330mm though but i'm not fussed about that. Where did you get your boss from?

EDIT:

Couldn't wait/resist so I went and bought it! After re-reading this thread I think i've got a bargain although we'll see when it arrives! Looks identical to yours though Matt :)

Also, one way of telling the difference between fake and real ones looks to be where the centre/t-pieces come out to the 'quarter to three' position on the main rim, if you look at Matt's wheel is has a seperate piece of fabric which joins the t-piece to the outer rim. MK1-tron's wheel has not got this.

The one I have just bought has the seperate material but looks to have a slightly different horn push in the centre, so could still be fake. All will be revealed when it arrives!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  10. Willber Forum Member

Well, guess what! Mine as fake! Looks fine though for 50 [:D] I removed the outer horn ring bit and now it looks just like the real one.

Can't complain!