fan not working

Discussion in '8-valve' started by way2low, Jun 12, 2013.

1. way2low New Member

I have searched, read post after post and looked through my haynes with no solution...

I have an '85 K-jet 1.8 GTI that has an over heating issue.

The fan worked during the MOT,
    I noticed the temp gauge wasn't working after the MOT so I changed the temp sender (one lead plug on front of the engine). The gauge works and the light flashes BUT now it is over heating...
    I changed the thermostat and noticed the fan wasn't working when I was bleeding the system. I bridged the two pins in the fan switch and it spins. I replaced the fan switch on the bottom of the radiator but still wont spin...

What else would cause the fan to stop spinning? I have checked the fuse as well. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

when the car is up to temp check that the bottom of the rad (especially around the fan switch) is as hot as the top. If it isn't it means there is a flow issue. Does the fan work on both speeds when bridged?

3. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Did you buy the correct coolant temp sensor? It might not be overheating and the fan sensor hasn't reached operating temperature yet.