Fastest MKV

Discussion in 'Mk5' started by sutherlandm, Feb 2, 2004.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

To all the knowledgeable chaps on here/
    What's the quickest MkV available at the moment and is/will there be an R32 version.
    Planning to test drive a mk4 R32 and whatever MkV I can find in City Volkswagen but they're being cagey on model release dates.
    The one I keep seeing in billboard ads looks a bit pokey -Big grill vents,etc.

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I think I read on here about a MKV R32 280BHP?

Could be talking bollox though!

They`ll want you to buy the mk4 they already have in stock, that`s why they`re being cagey probably?

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I did hear about the MV R32 golf was gonna have a turbo'd 3.2Litre 24V V6. I have no idea if thast true or when it would be released though but I expect it would be in a couple of years time TBH.

4. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Just had EVO through the door. They test a TDI mkv (and like it) but it says the 200bhp GTi will be out at the end of the year. I guess the R32 will be after that.
    May have to be the Mk4 R32 (or S3) then - Can't wait that long!

5. Mikedav Forum Member

The fast Golfs are a way off yet. The GTI will be a 2.0 FSI Turbo, while the R32 replacement is apparently going to be an R36 3.6 litre V6 putting aout about 280BHP-290BHP! Feasible due to the new S3 putting dow 280BHP, but I will believe it when I see it.

GTI is November 2004, R36 is prob 2006 so a while yet mate

6. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

I'm sure I can "suffer" a current R32 until then. Not heard anything about a new S3.
    Are there any details on the 'net?

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Taken from a webpage somewhere. :)

The new S3 will go on sale next year and it will feature a V6 turbo engine. Its 3.2-litre engine will have a power output of about 210 kW.

But in 2005 a red hot RS3 will take over the crown from the S3. This muscle hatchback will have a bi-turbo V6 engine which will develop an mammoth 260 kW.

Both the S3 and the RS3 will feature Audi's quattro all-wheel drive system.

At the moment the range topper in the A3 range has a 3.2-litre V6 engine with 184 kW.

Edited by: Andy947

8. Mikedav Forum Member

[​IMG]

All I have found is....

3.2 VR6 FSI with 280 HP and 330 Nm with either DSG or 6-speed box from the R32, quattro four wheel drive, hydraulic multiple disk clutch, 17" brake assembly derived from the RS4 and 18" alloys.

Auto Express says...

When the new A3 range goes on sale in spring 2004, petrol versions will use the current 100bhp 1.6-litre and 150bhp 2.0 FSI. Diesels will have either a 100bhp 1.9 TDI Pumpe Dse engine or a new 2.0-litre 16v unit developing 135bhp. The performance flagship will initially use a tuned version of the Golf R32's 3.2 V6 engine, developing 280BHP, while 2005 will see the introduction of an RS3 Avant model, powered by a twin-turbo version of the V6 engine and kicking out 320bhp+.

By late 2005, a new 125bhp 1.8 FSI petrol engine will join the range, along with a 160bhp version of the 2.0 16v TDI powerplant. Transmissions will be five or six-speed

So who knows whats true and what isn't!

EDIT: Seems that picture is a photoshop, so nearly all this info could be wrong.

Edited by: Mikedav

9. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Plenty to look forward to then!

10. Rob.gti Forum Member

As far as i know the new MKV R32 will still be a 3.2 litre engine but have a multi-valve head and the FSI technology incorporated, thus producing 250bhp. It wont be out for the forseable future as far as i know.

Incidently - I will be test driving a MKV 2.0 TDI and a MKIV R32 on Thursday [:D]
    Edited by: Rob.gti

11. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Rob - Will be keen to hear your views on the two.
    The TDi seems to be the quickest available so far - EVO are pretty keen on it.
    Despite all the flak, I like the new one and the suspension set up sounds very good.

12. Rob.gti Forum Member

Yeah, I will let you know.

I will try and write a review for Club GTI Worcs, so i will let you know when its done

13. Liam Forum Member

my sister works at a vw garage and she was saying something about it being upgraded to a 3.4?

true or not i dont know...

14. Rob.gti Forum Member

What a day! [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]

Here is what you wanted to hear:

MK5 2.0 16v TDI (140bhp) 5 door in Sage Green

This was the first car I test drve to day and after reading all the reviews, it was probably the one I was most looking forward to.

First impressions are that the car is very well put together, the exterior really did look good in the flesh, althought the Sage Green really did not do the car justice - they had a Laser Blue one in the showroom, which was stunning! Obviously a car that is gonna be Colour sensitive! Good solid build and as you would expect from VW, feels very upmarket.

Interior is a good as the previous MK4 and i think better laid out. People have commented that the interior looks cheap, i think this is because it is in Grey rather than the Black we are used to. Materials definately felt as good as my Anniversary. The Centre console and drive tunnel section is a bit nasty, didnt like it at all. Not very well designed and looks very East european! However, there are some nice touches to the interior, all handles are chrome and so are the ashtray covers etc, just like my Anniversary. Switch gear is true solid VW with some of the switches straight out of the MK4.

The Drive. Initially, I found that the engine noise was louder than in my MK4. Maybe theis is because the engine is not run in yet, but I definately noticed it. Steering is very light when moving off, but then seems to get heavier when driivng. this give the car a nice feel when driving. You do feel what is happening up front a lot more than the MK4. Handling is also very very good - the car didnt wallow around corners, but stayed poised and it filled you with confidence. Ride wasnt firm but carried bumps very well. All in all very impressed.

Performance. The acceleration was very similar to the 1.9 TDI, however was definately down on power and you could feel it. Obviously this is just a 140bhp unit and it did feel a little out of puff compared to mine. But the up side, is that the power is much more spread out. from about 1900rpm to just over 3000rpm, the engine sings along nicely which is a lot different to the 1.9 TDI all or nothing torque curve.

Conclusion. Yeah its a very well put together car and definately a worthy follow on to the MK4. However, it does seem to be at a price. I tottoed up the price of the car I wanted, with the spec I wanted and this was it:

MK5 2.0 TDI 3 door, with Metalic paint, 17" alloys and 6 disc changer - 19,480 [8(]Now thats R32 territory....

Second test drive of the day:

MK4 Golf R32 5 door in Diamond Black

We all konw what a MK4 looks like and most of us have driven one, however I have never driven one like this baby!!!! This car is truely awesome and if you are a VW enthusiast, I suggest you do not go through life without test driving one of these monsters!

I was absolutely gobsmacked! I have always believed my TDI to be quick, and I think it is. But there is quick and there is QUICK! The R32 is very very QUICK. It was refreshing to jump into a car and drive it with so much power on tap 100% of the time, no turbo lag to take away the enjoyment. Put your foot down and you are off! It was extremely difficult to drive slowly

The best part was pulling out of a junction onto a main road, first gear throws the car forward, second throws you into your seat, third makes sure you stay there and 4th 5th and 6th just play back this tremendous sound that makes you wanna rip out the stereo and throw it away! Its the best sound track in any Golf!

To say I have been bitten by the R32 bug, is an understatement. All I can say is watch this space!!!!!

15. Mikedav Forum Member

Are they INSANE? That would buy you a nicely specced BMW 318i (saloon) or a car of that ilk. Anyone who pays twenty grand for a mid range Golf has to be on crack, I was looking at 2 year old 330Cis for that money.

Intresting, I definetly need a drive in an R32. I am told by many who have gone from one to the other (Both ways) that there isn't a massive difference in power between a 4Motion and an R32, its just the handling thats in another league. The kick in the back into second is the same in mine, as is the soundtrack, but as I am meant to be on a par with your Anni and you say this faster... well I need to test this.
    Edited by: Mikedav

16. Rob.gti Forum Member

I havent driven a 4 motion, so I cant comment Mike. But the R32 was impressive. Yes mine is quick, but it has turbo lag and short peek performance. the R went on for ages

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Nice one Rob and thanks for the message.
    I'm getting very into the idea of an R32.
    May well be the one for me (and wife).
    Won't be able to get one for a few months but I think I can wait!