few mk4 1.8t questions please

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by mk4_turbo, Sep 16, 2012.

1. mk4_turbo New Member

hi peeps few qs if you please

am i correct in thinking that a

stock gti turbo 1.8 has a 150bhp ko3 turbo
    gti turbo 1.8 aniversary version 180bhp ko3s turbo

and the audi s3 takes a ko4 220bhp turbo

if this right does this mean if a pick up a good gti turbo would a ko4 fit straight to the car with no mods? im only guessing here please correct me if im going the right way here.

im after once buying the car fitting a fmic, forge dv, custom cat back, decat. some turbo swap if needed..and a liive map for her which leads me too....:idea:

exhaust wise im after a cat back that makes it louder but not chav loud. want a real good sports sound to it. is there anything off the shelf direct fit that can fit at home or am i best getting a custom one made ? on my current car i had use a mandrel bent custom cat back which gave good results.

on subject of mapping i know there off the shelf maps but i want a proper live map that is mapped to my car. how does this work on the golfs? is it mapped on the oem board or is a daughter board fitted then mapped? for the mods ive listed i assume the live map better?

sorry for so many questions :)

2. mk4_turbo New Member

well i was wrong on the ko4 area. lol so ko4 needs matching manifold, feed lines etc and different injectors. with all that a a map it should be pushing a safe 250-260bhp?

3. techy New Member

yeh for a k04 conversion you need injectors, inlet, exhaust mani, injectors, oil lines, downpipe, different intercooler set up, boost pipe work from turbo, remap.
    my cupra R mapped straight to 270 but i think engine internals are different in yours so maybe about right bhp wise 250-260

4. mk4_turbo New Member

thank you. so the the ko4 not quite a straight swap affair..... i should be getting a mk4 anniversary edition any way as got a chance of a really well looked after one for good price. so id be on the better turbo any way. do you what sort of power id get from the above mods on the 180bhp version would it be about 230-240bhp?

5. techy New Member

its a straight swap once youve got all the different parts haha, absolute max you will get on a k03s its probs 230bhp with supporting mods, if your lucky obviously dyno lottery plays a part in some peoples high figures, and the standard ecu is flashed through the obd port.

6. mk4_turbo New Member

so i can either get a off the shelf map or a proper live map that is mapped to my car through the obd port? ill be using a dyno dynamics machine which are quite accurate. i want to map it once so get as many mods fitted before the map but dont know if i fancy swapping all that for the ko4 lol. 230bhp and good torque should be ok though......i say that now but...........

7. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Btw, the ko3s was fitted to the later Mk4 1.8T's. My Mk4 has a Ko3s, and is AUM engine code.

I did put a ko3s in my Mk2, which is running a large port AGU 1.8T engine :thumbup:

8. mk4_turbo New Member

so does the k03s have more power the 180bhp? and the ko3 have the 150? my audi a4 aeb engine had the ko3 with 150bhp

9. Richard Mk2

My AUM was 150BHP with a ko3s as standard. :thumbup:

The 180bhp engine's are found in the anniversary and a few of the late 2003 Mk4 1.8T GTI's.

Also, the 180bhp engine come with a 6 speed gearbox, where as the 150's come with 5 speed.

I had my 150 Mk4 1.8T with ko3s remapped and now the BHP is estimated at 210bhp.

:thumbup:

10. mk4_turbo New Member

well it defo the anniversary ill be getting as the spec better etc i didnt know it was 6 speed on the anniversary that good to know. so do we know what makes the anniversary 180bhp is it just the map? i was thinking that a stage 2 map on a 180 would bring more ponies out over the 150 version

11. Richard Mk2

Yea its just the standard map which makes it 180, afaik.

Regarding remapping, you'll get exactly the same as if you were mapping a 150 version.

For example -

150 - stage 1 map - 210
    180 - stage 1 map - 210

It will be exactly the same. :)

Whats your budget, as anniversary's can cost

12. 20VT_Edition New Member

150bhp K03 = 210 max
    150bhp K03S =240 max
    180bho K03S = 240 max

With all of the correct bolt on mods you can see the 240bhp on a healthy car.

A decent off the shelf system would be the Milltek Sport exhaust, turbo back with decat or cat and resonated cat-back - nice sporty sound without it being overly loud.

13. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Engine codes and turbos are:

AGU - KO3, 150bhp
    ARX - KO3, 150bhp. Very rare, in a good way.
    AUM - KO3s, 150bhp
    AUQ - KO3s, 180bhp

AUQ gets 180bhp from a map, nothing else.

14. mk4_turbo New Member

great info there guys thank you. budget is about 3k. i would buy a normal 150 version if it was a minter. only thing is a find they look plain to look at in some ways. any perfered version to look out for best spec or engine type then? i take it the agu the one to stay clear as the others can push more umpf out

15. Richard Mk2

Later spec Mk4's looks bettter imo, as they come with the 16" Montreal 2 alloys :thumbup:

Here is mine -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. mk4_turbo New Member

well im aiming for 52/53 plate so should be later engine and styling :) god wish had the cash now lol to buy this car. forge motor sport is just a huge drool site. bring back memories of my audi a4 turbo. arrrrrrrr lol

17. Richard Mk2

They are great cars. Comfortable, reliable and easy to tune.

I would recommend a remap though, stage 1, just to get a bit more life out of the 1.8t as they are great for tuning.

I bought mine with 40,000 on the clock, and it had just had 1500 spent on it including a major service.

Also make sure you change the oil and filter every 6 months and it should treat you well!

18. Hornchurch Dan Forum Member

3k should get you a nice A3 1.8T sport, if the normal Golf GTI is a bit plain for you..

19. mk4_turbo New Member

It be a golf i buy for sure just the extra spec style and base power much better imo over stock gti in the annivasary edition. The mapping be done last after all mods done like dv , fmic and exhaust.

If i fit decat and cat back will the car run ok till map?

20. mk4_turbo New Member

Oh and been as ive come from a 109 decible 2.5'' decatted big cat back car loud is norm to me lol..

If i change the whole exhaust i want to due the cost atleast know it been changed. Is the resonated miltex only a smidge louder than oem and the un resonated alot louder