Few Problems With My 1.8T Please Help

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by BradA1, Dec 19, 2013.

1. BradA1 New Member

So hi everyone im new to the forums and to having a 1.8t in my mk2 golf. I have a few problems that im trying to get sorted at the minute but im not to sure on them.

Number 1 5th gear ! So my first issue is my shy 5th gear, basically you can sit in neutral and engage every gear with ease. The problem starts when trying to go from either 3rd to 5th or from 4th to 5th. Pushing over and up from 4th to 5th the car will not go into 5th, its like pushing against a brick wall, same story from 3rd. To get it in to 5th from 4th i have to go into 3rd take it out then fiddle around a bit for 5th. This is very frustrating and results in slow shifts trying not to hit 3rd by accident, its very easy to think your in 5th and then release the clutch and oh **** 3rd ! When i do manage to get it into 5th its pulls through the gear great no clunks ect. Another thing i have noticed is that there is a lot of play in the selector, 3rd is almost the whole of the top of the selector and there is a fair bit of play when in 3rd. However it does not slip out of gear crunch, grind or make any kind of noise in any gears. Its very easy to think your in 5th and then release the clutch and oh **** 3rd ! I think it could possibly be linkages due to all the gears functioning well when in them, I just need someone with knowledge and experience to help me out :p

Problem 2. This is one im not to sure of at all ! So basically when revving the car up to the point where the boost builds, then the bov releases the gases after this point the revs will drop, not to the point of stall or cut out but pretty drastically for a few seconds then it will pick back up and idle fine. When changing gear, say from 3rd to 4th after being on boost the revs will drop when changing into 4th, then when the throttle is pushed down, say lightly there will be no response for a short time then all of a sudden it will jolt and kick in. If pressing hard on the throttle there will be a very short time where there is no response then it will jerk and kick back in. Could this be a boost problem boost leak, surge ?? or could this be a throttle body problem possibly sticking ? The reason i thought throttle body is due to the battery being disconnected. I read you have to get the throttle body reset on a vagcom machine if the battery is discontented, is this true ? Anyway im not to sure thats why im asking on here :p

I forgot to add engine is an ARY from a 2001 TT with around 85k on it, gearbox is a seat ibiza 20vt gearbox not sure of year or mileage. ill be thankful for any advice/help cheers :)

2. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Hi Brad welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully some of the 1.8t experts will be along shortly to help out with the tech query - in the meantime feel free to stick up a thread in the "say hello" section and tell us a bit about yourself, maybe stick up some pics of the car too :thumbup:

3. BradA1 New Member

Hi dex, not regarding my problems but ive just posted again as i thought my post had failed or something, didn't read the message after posting [8(] . Sorry about that please just delete it or something my bad ! Thanks for the welcome anyway ! i will head over and post a thread now :)

4. Gup16v Forum Member

Hi mate

Re problem one. you've got a 02J gearbox - what shifter are you using, is it from the 02J set up or is it a MK3 02A set up?
    it sounds like you need to realign your shifter.

Re problem two - yes, if your battery is disconnected, sometimes you need to realign your throttle body via vac-com (VCDS). That might be causing the jerkiness and lag in power.

5. BradA1 New Member

On the gearbox issue im really not to sure mate :/ i guess 02j. Im not to clued up on gearboxes ect + i dont have much info on the car. If it does need realigning how would i set out doing this ? any tutorials about ? On problem 2, i guess im gonna have to pay an extortionate price to a man with a vagcom machine :p Anyway thanks a lot for your reply !

6. Gup16v Forum Member

some garages dont charge you much. If you go to VW, they have a flat rate. It wont take long but it might not fix it! Check on VCDS section for memebers who have Vagcom in your area. they might do it for a few beer tokens

The reason i ask is because the 02a and 02J is slightly different to align. I've never had to Align a 02a so cant say, but 02j is really easy.

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l628/skully70-4/IMG_0532.jpg

if you have that big black box thing on your gearbox 99% its a 02A.
    That big black thing is your reverse switch. The 02J one has it below the Big Weight.

7. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

Ross tech wiki will tell you how to do an throttle body adaption but you will need vag com do you have the OBD2 plug wired in. oh and welcome:thumbup:

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Seems like you need a shifter alignment but all you need is a pic of the gearbox to see which it is.

9. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

nut 20v likes this.
  10. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you have a BOV that vents to atmosphere it could be the cause of your 'nearly stalling when dropping back to idle' Bosch MAF based systems don't like atmos BOVs.

11. BradA1 New Member

Its an 007p recirculating not to atmosphere with a yellow spring. Someone did say to me it could be that the yellow spring is to weak and the bov is staying open, but its only running around 16-18psi so the yellow spring is correct. By the way thanks for the help everyone ! :)

12. BradA1 New Member

I haven't even had it out of the garage this week to check the gearbox ect. I will have it out and check if it has the little black thing on it tomorrow post some pics.

13. nut 20v

nut 20v CGTI Regional Host - Birmingham & Midlands

14. peterg60 CGTI Regional Co-Host - Birmingham & Midlands

yeh done my very easly aswell. like a nice car :)

15. BradA1 New Member

Finally been out to the garage today its an 02A box has the little black box on top

16. Gup16v Forum Member