Few questions from a new owner - Windows, locks, airbags

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by SafferYork, Jul 31, 2016.

1. SafferYork New Member

I've recently bought a Mk4 GTi, 2002. I'm having a problem with the windows - the passenger window doesn't work at all from the drivers side window console, and all the other Windows do work, however, it's as if someone is playing with the light switch....they go up/down a bit then stop. Release the button, try agin, up/down a bit, stop, until either open or closed. The drivers one touch open/close works in pretty much the same fashion.

The puddle lights do not work on any door and the central locking as well as lock button in the car does not lock the passenger door. I can lock it with the key, without issue...

Does anyone have any recommendations for me, anything to check out tomorrow? Also, as an aside, the airbag warning comes up with a B/Pillar tensioner error - any suggestion on that?

Thanks all.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st step is plug in vagcom or vcds check the diagnostics measuring blocks for the convenience module, this will show you all the button inputs in real time as you mess with them see if anything looks odd. also check the fault codes too, and look at the wiring in all the door shuts for damage

have you tried resetting the total closure for all the windows? keep messing with the switch till the window is fully open, then hold the button down for a few seconds. do the same for fully closed. do the windows work smoothly otherwise or do the motors sound like they are straining. the mk4 suffer from regulator clip failure so it might be down to that, or the replacement parts were not fitted properly