few random shots

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by Dub20vt, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Dub20vt Forum Member

well got my first DSLR last week... here's a couple of pics i've taken... any tips or pointers extremely welcome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

nice start....what cam did you buy?

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Good pics there mate. :thumbup:

Tip for `action` shots;

[​IMG]

If you want to capture something moving in sharp detail there are a couple of ways of doing it.

For something slow moving (relatively), then set the camera to a short exposure and pan with the subject, take the pic, and continue with a `follow through` pan.

That way you`ll capture the subject in sharp detail, with the background blurred.

The same technique can be used for faster subjects (cars at trackdays/races for example), though using the single shot method is much more difficult, and takes a lot of practice.

As most modern DSLRs come with `continuous` or `burst` shooting functions, it is very easy to capture dramatic action shots. TBH, even professionals use this method;

Again set the camera to a quick exposure, but this time also set it for `burst` shooting. Frame your subject and, as before, pan with it. The beauty this time is that as long as keep the button pressed the camera will keep taking pictures continuously.

You will probably end with 10 or more shots, but you`ll have at least one or two that have captured the effect you want.

I used to be into photography years ago, before the advent of digital, and have just recently got back into it. You can see an example of some action shots on my Knockhill thread in the Motorsport section. (EDIT: Here; http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172562)

Whilst not perfect yet (I`m still practising!) you can see some of them are quite good...IMO...[:$] :lol:

Hope that`s of some use to you. :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. Dub20vt Forum Member

hi velly, i bought a Canon 400D in the end. only got the kit lens at the mo.. looking at a budget zoom shortly.

Cheers for the pointers Stu, the seagull was a bit of a chance capture, it flew across right in front of me so was more luck than judgement, was in Tv mode (shutter speed) so was reasonably happy considering i hadn't set myself up for it.

been a long time since i played with an SLR. i used to have a Pentax super ME that i used for photos at hill climbs etc with mild success. but that was about 10years ago now lol.

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Don't buy a budget zoom - save for a bit longer, or buy second-hand instead.

That was the mistake I made when I wanted a zoom for my Nikon. It's passable, but I wish it were better.

As you're going to be spending some anyway, spend a few more, then you won't have to buy again!

Nice pictures, btw :)

6. Dub20vt Forum Member

cheers stella. i've bought a cheapy for now to tide me over.. will get saving for something a bit more desirable ;)

7. Dub20vt Forum Member

been faffing around with pics again... boredom is a great thing lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Good pictures - especially the pasta :lol:

I wish I could see arty shots like that. My pictures all tend to be, real stuff, if you know what I mean.

My son's a good photographer and see shots like that all the time and has produced some really good stuff. But I just don't see the potential, so probably miss loads of good pictures.

I really must start looking beyond the obvious ......