Fibreglass supplies

Discussion in 'Quality retailers & Supplies' started by G60KG, May 28, 2012.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I am looking to back a replacement headlining for my mk2 with a couple of layers of fibre glass to give it a bit of strength and stop it cracking to pieces should it need to be removed in future.

Can someone please tell me the cheapest place to buy and the best type of resin and mat to buy for this application. I ideally want big pieces of mat so I can cover it in complete layers. Resin wise I want something which is easy to work with, longer drying times prefered I guess so I have more time to apply it etc...

I bought a kit from halfords to practice with and found the resin hardened very quickly so quickly that if I had planned to do the whole lining with that stuff it would have completely solidified when only a quarter way through.

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Just search yell or similar for fibreglass suppliers or a company who uses the stuff. I found a few places that gave me enough for what i needed and worked out aloy cheaper than that isopon kit halfrauds do.

You want medium mat and the setting time is dependant on how much hardener you use. you want to use about 2% hardener IIRC. It would be wise to weigh your resin/ hardener for each application.

3. thegave Forum Member

cfsnet or east coast fibreglass

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Pretty local, will drop in for a browse.

6. walkinginperu Forum Member

Try http://www.easycomposites.co.uk. Not the cheapest, but they'll sell you materials in the kind of quantities you need. Polyester/glass fibre would be fine for what you need I reckon, and a random glass mat would conform to the curvatures at the edges than a woven glass, and be a lot cheaper too. :thumbup:

7. samfish

samfish Forum Member

I have used these guys (easy composites), and east coast fibreglass, and a couple of others. I am always amazed how helpful and informative they all where on the phone, compared to other industries!
    Easy composites have lots of helpful video's too. I found I had to buy from a few different suppliers to get exactly what I wanted. The resin I bought from Easy composites was very good and designed for an amateur without an oven etc.