Final Offer From Insurance Co.

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by vealige, Aug 24, 2004.

1. vealige Forum Member

Well as most of you know the Golf got a bit of dig in the ass end! [:^(] Insurance company has written it off and gave me an offer for it last week.

1080 + the car for free. [:x] After a couple of phone calls later and then they actually got someone to look at the car and the condition it was in.

2000 + the car for free. :clap: I'm a lot more happy about this but i've still lost shed loads of money but at least i haven't been ripped off too much. [:D]

2. superden Forum Addict

1k difference - that first offer wasnt taking the p*ss at all was it ? [xx(] [:x]
    Edited by: superden

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

what you gonna do with the car m8?
    repair [:D] or break [:^(]

4. vealige Forum Member

Break i'm going to let peps gain from my misfortune. I would repair but the car would never be the same to me [:^(]

Yeh tell me about it they never even looked at the car the first time to give that quote! [:x] Gives you so much faith in insurance doesn't it! [:x]

5. Dave J Forum Member

Thats a bit better! At least you have half a chance of getting another decent car with that sort of money...

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Two Words - 'Agreed Value' :)

Still not a bad payout in the end :)

7. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

not bad, better than my payout :(

8. Admin Guest

still a pain i found when i had that. [:x] [:^(]

9. vealige Forum Member

Yeh a mate had the same problem with it as well [:x]

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

So under what circumstances is an agreed valuation actually useful to you then?

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

When your car is written off - you get the value agreed when you take out the policy.

Ie, you send in all your receipts for parts and pictures to prove the condition etc, and you say a value you want, you get someone in the trade to sign a form aswell (i got a local car dealer) - you then agree and they send you a certificate to prove it.

Means no hassles with offers and you having to fight for more if the worst happens. :)

12. JonnyGTi Forum Member

I've got mine listed as 1500 with LV. Have spent about 700 on it since then, only repairs really, but things that needed doing. Would they give me 2200?

Good luck Vealige on getting a good amount of money back.What do you reckon your car was worth to you?

It's got to be one of the difficult bits of modding your car, an insurance company is very unlikely to see the car as being as valuable as you do, by quite a margin. Particularly if you just swap parts, like engines. They'll just see that it has an engine, not that you paid 3000 to have it converted...

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

They do not take into account the labour cost - onlythe cost of the parts - so you will lose more if you pay someone to do it all for you.

The value wont go up for repairs - thats just daft - only if you have receipts for uprated or non standard parts.

14. JonnyGTi Forum Member

But surely if you buy a car that was barely running and carry out repairs that make it run - it is worth more!??!?

15. Andy947 Forum Addict

Of course, but you'll have to put a realistic value on it - you couldnt buy a 100 car, spend 50 on it, and agree value it for 2000 - they wouldnt do it.

They aint daft, you'll only get a reasonable value, not over the top.

16. JonnyGTi Forum Member

T'aint what I suggested. So should I contact LV and say 'I've sorted out some issues with the car and want to revise the agreed value.'?

17. GajMk1 Forum Member

Which companies to people use for the agreed value thing? My insurers will only give me the "forecourt" price for it if it's written off, but will replace like for like with mods if it's repairable.....

18. Andy947 Forum Addict

Yeah, contact them if you feel the value has increased - same as if you do more modifications or whatever, gotta keep it all covered.

I'm with HIC for the second time with an agreed value policy. No problems with them really.

19. Admin Guest

sounds dreamy :lol:

but in my case was a fcking mare of a time to get it all sorted and get a payout to what it had been agreed to, but that was mostly the third party ignoring the fact i had the agreed value and very strong documented proof for this and not coming out to look at the car, took some thing like 4-5 months for some one to come and actually look at it properly. rather than sit in their car and look at it from a distance because it was raining. and look up the guide price in parkers for the car, they came back to me with a value on a mk2 driver or something stupid [:x] :clap: no its a mk1 golf GTI you fools!
    though i do agree it does help to get a decent price for the car rather than a scrap value on it.