Finally, my smoothed bumper....

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by RallyeVR6, Oct 28, 2003.

1. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

nears completion. [:D]

Well, after quite a few months of waiting my front bumper looks a little closer to completion. Here are the stages thast its gone through to get to how it looks today. I quite like the look of it myself, very similar to the PVW Rallye I admit, but its had one or two bits done differently.

How it started out....

[​IMG]

First up, the Number plate recess was revomed. That required the use of a big air saw. [:s] After the bumper was cut in the right places, it was heated up and molded into shape. Then meshing was melted into the bumper and fibre glass was put on and smoothed over. Then finally a small ammount of filler was skimmed over the top.

[​IMG]

It then had a light dusting of primer to give a better idea of it being flat or not

[​IMG]

Then, as with the number plate recess, messing was melted into the bumper over the fog lamps and it was filled and smoothed with fibre glass and a skim of filler was put on top.

[​IMG]

Then it was just a case of finally sanding to get it 100% flat and it was primered

[​IMG]

And today, It was painted. Whoo hoo.[8D]This picture is taken half way through the painting, Simon (Mr PAintshop man) suddenly saw me taking the pictures, and hid. The big girl. ;)

[​IMG]

By the time I left, both the bumper and my boot lid were baking in the oven so I didn't get chance to have a good look close up, but it seems that it is looking pretty good from what I could see through the window! I'll post final pictures when it is done.

Editted about 17 times cos I'm a flid.
    Edited by: RallyeVR6

2. nuttinnew Forum Member

3. MrBen Forum Junkie

So is this one of the last bits? When does this amazing car hit the road?!

4. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

LOL, this "Amazing" car hits the road when I can afford it to hit the road. [:s]

But the painting is really the last Major job that needs to be done. Once its back its could be put straight on the road.

However, I have the 6 speed 4motion box and rear diff to fit and engien bay to be sprayed and I think I might do that first rather than drive it about for a bit, then take it off the road again.

5. alby Forum Junkie

please tell me thats a reflection in front of the rear wheel in the first pic.or have you gone all fast and furious? :p

6. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

I have NO idea what those stickers are all about. Thankfully they went ALONG time ago.

Anyone else shed any light on why a Golf Rallye would have the words "Slim Line" written down the side? The one thing a Golf Rallye isn't, is slim!!

7. 76

76 Forum Member

looks good, what does the mesh they melt in bond to?

8. Joggie New Member

Looks nice [8D] ,,, you have to put up some pic's when it's done !

9. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Ta Da!!!!

Nice fully Painted front bumper. Its a bit dusty (like everything else down there) but thats easily sorted.

[​IMG]

Just needs a bit of a wash, rub down and polish and it will look grand[8D]

Managed to push the bumper half onto the car today and pushed on teh Mk3 Vr6 Splitter and teh car is only about 1 and a half inches off the ground at the front. [:s]

Edited by: RallyeVR6

10. dubleon Forum Member

looking sweet! [:D]

11. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Great work. I too an eagerly awaited this cars completion!

12. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

You don't wait half as eagerly as I am! ;)

Once shes back theres gonna be one hell of a lot of activity going on around it. Got quite alot of wor to do to it before I want to hit the shows and meets in it.

Even though its been one HELL of a long time to wait, I think the wait is well worth it. [:^:]