Finding Ignition Wire on Mk4 golf

Discussion in 'ICE' started by surfoneskate, Jan 13, 2004.

1. surfoneskate New Member

I just installed a new head unit and amp into an Mk4 golf and
    when installing the new wiring harness it says there is no
    ignition source and you have to find one. Right now I have the
    ignition wire running off the power to the blinkers, so the stereo
    only works when the car is completely on. I would like to
    change this so that the stereo can run by only turning the
    ignition halfway like it is supposed to. If anyone knows an easy
    way to wire to an ignition source that'd be great to spread the
    knowledge. Thanks.
    Edited by: surfoneskate

2. Madbloke Forum Member

When you say no power source on the wiring haness is this a harness that was supplied by the manufacturer of the radio to be wired direct to the car - or a harness you brought in addition to connect direct from the hu to the cars own loom?

If its a harness designed to fit the hu to the cars loom then the harness should directly connect to your cars own loom and pick up all its features such as power earth speakers etc.... it seems odd that this harness couldnt pick up a power feed from the car loom!

If its a harness supplied by the manufacturer then you will need to find the wires for all the function yourself --- the cars original loom should have a radio feed in there somewhere --- if for some odd reason it hasnt or you cant find it then you need a wire that is off when the key is out and on when in ignition position 1, 2 and engine running.

Something such as leccy windows although to get the feed will be difficult so maybe the blowers which will only be live in switch position 2 and whilst engine on

3. mcdub Forum Member

I removed a in car hands free kit from a mates Golf, before he traded it in, and I`m sure I rememeber that there is a positive connection below the steering coloumn under the dash. I`m sure its a bolt & nut connection so dead easy to connect to.

4. Mikedav Forum Member

MK4s need an adaptor as the constant and ACC power wires are reversed. Go to www.caraudiodirect.co.uk and you can find the adaptor there, about 10 I think

5. surfoneskate New Member

The problem is not the power wire.In the factory wiring harness there is NO IGNITION WIRE. That is the wire that controls when the stereo turns on and off as far as power is concerned. I'm trying to find an ignition source to wire to. Right now it is wired to the blinker power and that only comes on when the ignition is all the way turned over. So basically I am looking for an ignition source, not a power source. Hope that clarifies a little.

6. Madbloke Forum Member

Sorry m8 --- I did mean a remote in my post but called it Pos :lol:

There should still be a switched live behind the dash for a radio even if there isnt one fitted as a std - it normally runs off same fuse as the interior light etc.

Anyway if you cant find it --- both your leccy windows and blower would have a switched live going to them as these will only work when engine on and ACC on etc.

Just need a multimeter or one of those test probes to find it

7. surfoneskate New Member

The problem with wiring power to the windows is that they always have power going to them, because in the mk4's you can roll up or down the windows from the outside door lock, and the blowers only come on when the engine is completely on. I want to be able to have the radio on by only turning the ignition partially like it is supposed to be on. So I can here the stereo without turning the car on completely and draining the power. Any more advice?

8. Madbloke Forum Member

OK - didnt know they had roll up

I still think there should be one near to the radio din slot but if not then you need to find an accessory that comes on on 1st ignition position ---

Maybe fag lighter (unless it had a permanent live)
    failing that you'll need to go to the back of the ignition and pick it up from there

9. surfoneskate New Member

To get to the ignition wire will I have to take the steering column cover off? And if so does anyone know how without breaking anything, because I don't have such good luck dismantling things always. There is not a single accessory that comes on with the ignition even the cigarette lighter is on permanently so I'm going to have to go straight for the ignition wire I guess.

10. Madbloke Forum Member

If you really cant find a remote behind the dash then save yourself the trouble and wire to the blowers -- i know that means ignition switch 2 but depends how often you sit in the car listening to the radio etc without the engine on.

11. Madbloke Forum Member

Thinking about this more --- the windows have roll up but does the switch inside operate without the key in the ignition? --- Im pressuming not --- and does it work in position 1 --- if so find the wire that goes live in position 1 ----- without looking at it Im thinking rollup will be a different wire to the window mech and possibly not the switch itself

12. Matt H New Member

I have a MK4 and there is an ignition, but it is not in the correct position in the harness for all after market headunits. You will need to swap it and from memory I think you will find it is yellow. I have fitted a Pioneer to my car and just swapped the wire. THere are also 2 perm live wire, not sure why 2 but I just disconnected one.