Fitting Audi 20vt Engine In Mk2

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by Matt G, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Recirculating DV if you are running a OEM ecu that has a MAF. For MAP applications you can run vent it. Type and quality depends on emitted sound ( if using MAP) reliabilitly and boost levels.

2. Matt G Forum Member

im thinking of using the QPEng ecu loom kit to fit it. i want reliability for now, the sound isnt important- tho fun, im more interested in longevity of the engine as it will be my daily driver too.

3. Matt G Forum Member

ive just read on another post, that the gearbox mount is awkward on fitting mk4 box onto mk2, is this correct? if so what do i need to change to sort this?

4. vwd40 Forum Member

Where have you read that? It's a piece of p155 to fit a Mk4 (02J) 'box. Corrado G60 mount bracket and std Mk2 mount. Done it myself, easy peasy. 02M - 6 speed is the pain to fit.

5. Matt G Forum Member

6. vwd40 Forum Member

I'm pretty sure you'll need to do some major fabrication to the subframe as the mount is in a completely different position. The 'box is also much larger than an 02A or J so may cause other issues with pipe clearance etc.

The people I have spoken to who have done it said it was way too much trouble for an extra gear and wish they had never thought about it.

7. Matt G Forum Member

hmm I might stick with a 5 speed box then, or maybe swap the box at a later date. Would it be worth putting a different box on at all? Ive heard I can use the mk2 gerbox still.

8. vwd40 Forum Member

You can use the rod change bucket of gears Mk2 'box but only if you stick to 150BHP. Many people use the VR6 02A as it's stronger. Best bet though is to use the Mk4 02J which you can pick up for next to nothing and will obviously be much newer and done less miles than an an 02A. My 02J had done delivery milage!

9. Matt G Forum Member

interesting.

any idea what parts i would need to get with the engine? I mean stuff from the donor car?

10. vwd40 Forum Member

To fit an 02J I presume you mean?

Gearbox, starter, shift cables & mechanism and speedo drive

11. Matt G Forum Member

So the mk2 ancilliaries can be used-header tank etc.
    I know i need to use mk2 16v fuel pump, but I may be starting with a mk2 16v base car.

12. Matt G Forum Member

How willl fitting a 20v turbo engine affect chassis mods like anti-roll bars, and strut braces?

13. Matt G Forum Member

I just thought of a few more questions!

if i use mk4 5 speed box, will it be geared to reach higher top end speeds? and what will i need gear linkage wise?

to fit audi tt lump, will i need to modify the throttle system? is the pedal box required?

14. Admin Guest

if you haven't done have a read through the qpeng guide, should answer all your questions

15. Matt G Forum Member

not yet, ive read through the article in pvw a while back, but didnt cover this.

16. Admin Guest

have a butchers, its pretty good for the mk2, tells you what you need and how to do it.