Fitting corrado adjustable steering to mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by ALI G60, Jun 20, 2011.

1. ALI G60 New Member

hi, im doing a mk2 g60 conversion, replaced car loom to 90 spec loom as was previously CE1, when trying to fit the 90 spec ignition barrel and stalks they do not fit properly on the steering column, and they look slightly different, do i need to buy a 90 spec steering coloumn tube thing, or how easy is it to fit the rado one with adjustable height?

cheers

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

For adjustable height use a seat ibiza column.

3. ALI G60 New Member

its not really for the adjustable height, its because the 90 spec ign barrel and stalks wont fit the old pre 90 spec steering column tubey thing, so i was just wondering whether the column tubes changed and when, and bhow difficult it would be to fit a corrado column?

4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Switch to a 90 spec column, you may need to change your steering wheel as well, 90 spec columns use a larger spline.

Corrado column can be fitted but involves cutting and welding the attachment bracket from a mk2 column onto the corrado one. I've done it to my track car to
    make it easier to get in/out but I'm not sure how well it would fit/work with the standard mk2 dash, as I have a custom dash in my car.

5. ALI G60 New Member

cheers, ill do that, cant be bothered with chopping and welding [:D]

6. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Does that require any cutting/welding brackets?

Also what year? :)

7. murph81 Forum Member

Also interested in info on the ibiza column!

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its a toledo one you want, pretty sure the biza one is different. cant remember off hand now 100%, but im say 80% sure :lol:

oh iirc my mate used a passat one in his mk2? but yah as above the corrado column is totally different and wont fit without serious effort. 90spec mk2 column tube is what you want for an easy life, or you could just cut the tab off though this would mean the lock housing isnt as secure as it could be

9. Blue MK2 Forum Member

So Toledo column = no cutting, welding , fabbing?

10. rubjonny

mostly yes, you need to trim the dash and the plastic ignition shroud a bit, plus bend the tilt lever. unless you can find a factory mk2 tilt ignition shroud and dash trim plate!

Basically the hole in the dash for the MK2 tilt column needs to be much wider, so a section of the dash is cut out and a trim is then attached in the hole to neaten it up. Then there is a different shroud trim which is also much wider, plus it has a plastic spring loaded flap on it which covers the space between the column and dash when its lowered if you know what I mean.

I believe the toledo shroud is the same as the mk2 tilt one. I got the shroud included with my column and it looked the same to me, but I couldn't use it as above its much wider and the non-tilt mk2 item and i didn't have the mk2 trim bit which is needed if you cut up your dash to make it fit.

Here is my SEAT column, modded to suit std mk2 dash/trims:
    [​IMG]

11. Kayque New Member

Good morning,
    Sorry to reopen this topic but I have some questions about my current project and needed help.
    I want to install an adjustable steering column on my Golf Mk2 but it's difficult to find one from a Mk2 or for a good price, and so I would like to know if there is one from another car that I can use, I know that the Toledo one is plug in play but this is also very difficult to find, so I ask you which other vehicles are compatible? MK3, passats, Ibiza, Cordoba,...? I was offered one from MK3 and one from Córdoba but I don't know if they are compatible.

12. rubjonny

I used a seat ibiza upper half, fitted up to the bottom half from my old column. trouble is to do that you need to cut the leaf spring things, but since the original polo column didnt have any hard connection between the upper and lower I wasnt worried. seemed to work fine on mine for years anyway...

probably also find it on caddy van and polo estate/saloon. not sure if the hatch on will work. I had to bend the lever and trim out the original surround to get it in there, as I say the proper tilt column trim is different and the hole in the dash is chopped out to match with a trim piece glued in to neaten the edge