Fitting hydro clutch in mk2 with engine in bay?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Carl loader, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi fellas, just wondering if anyones done the above. Im currently using an 02A box from a 16v passat on my ABF in the mk2, but im using the seat ibiza clutch cable system. Im sure its giving me a bit of grief as the clutch bite point feels really violent and grabby sometimes (almost like the clutch is releasing/engaging to quickly, if thats even possible!). The cable from the ibiza never seemed to have adjusted itself properly like all self adjusting cables are supposed to, and its still in the compressed position without the locking strap in place (the actual bite point doesn't to high/low though).

So just wondering, can you fit the hydro set up from a passat with the engine in place? I take it the hardest bit is trying to fit the clutch master cylinder onto the bulkhead? The local scrappy has a passat in at the mo so i can get the whole set up easy enough

Any help and advice would be great!

2. g60gerry Paid Member Paid Member

The conversion is suppose to be easyer then a mk1, you can use the corrado set up with peddle box....

3. Rallye_Will Forum Member

I imagine you could do it, but it would be a real ball ache. Not only do you need to drill a large hole (approx 40mm IIRC), but you also need to flaten a section of the bulkhead to make it fit properly. Plus you'll be hampered by the servo/master cylinder.

Personally I would take the engine and box out so you can do it properly. Also, habe you tried using a manually adjustable clutch cable as those self adjusting types are cr@p!

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I have a Seat/Transporter manual system in my car with 1.3 Mk2 clutch cable. I also have a Sachs sport clutch kit. IMO it is slighty heavier than say a 020 system possibly because of the sport clutch and pressure plate.
    I converted to manual for the WOLF R as I found the hydrualic system in the old WOLF was bending the bulkhead up by the raintry support due to my sometimes violent shifting and clutching.
    The holes can be made from inside with the passat pedel box in place but the firewall beating will be difficult with the motor in situ. You will need to manuvre the servo as well.
    If you decide on going down this route I have a passat/corrado pedel box, lines master and slave clyinder I would want to get rid of.

5. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers for the response guys. I would love to get a manual adjustable cable for the clutch, but i can't find one long enough. I did also try the 1.3 cable but i felt that it made the clutch pedal too heavy.

I take it that when you install the pedal box into the mk2, you need to get the master cylinder on the bulkhead in line with the push rod from the pedal, which is why the bulkhead needs to be flattened.

Cheers

6. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Correct - if the master cylinder rod isn't perfectly straight it'll rub and cause the pedal to stick. I bolted the pedal box up to provide some rigidity to the bulkhead, beat it flat and then drilled the holes out from inside the car - the bulkhead has quite a lot of spring to it, and takes a good pounding to make it sit flush, so doing it with the engine in situ, I would say, is a no go.

7. vwd40 Forum Member

I dropped the complete assy out of a Carrado G60 into my Mk2 to run my 02J. It's a complete pain to get in, hours of lying on your back under the dash swearing! It's worth if though, I'm running a 340 ft/lb rated clutch and it's light as a feather and really controllable.

8. veedubnutz Forum Junkie

What funkbaron said. Much easier to do with the lump out as you need to be able to swing the hammer pretty well, as it does take a pasting

9. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

From my experience I imagine it would be extremely difficult to do with the engine in situe. As Funkbaron said it makes it far easier if you bolt the pedal box in place before attacking the bulkhead.

10. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers guys. Was just having a think about this over the weekend, would you be able to beat the bulkhead flat from the inside of the car? I take it you only need to flatten an area big enough to fit the master cylinder too?

11. damogti Forum Junkie

Mine is exactly the same!!!!! Its a nightmare to drive it in traffic!!!! Is yours a new(ish) clutch and genuine??? Mine is sometimes also hardto get in gear properly, esp 1st and it occasionally cruntches slightly when selecting 5th at speed and changing down... [:s]

Do you think swapping to hydralic would solve the problem???

12. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

You do only need to flatten an area large enough for the M/C, but you will not be able to do it from inside the car - you have to hammer it the other way unfortunately.

13. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi Damo, im hoping that maybe a hydro clutch might solve part of the issues. Hopefully it would be a lot smoother as i find that the pedal can feel a bit jerky on mine, even with a new clutch and cable

Can someone also explain to me why you can't beat the bulkhead flat from inside the car? You can see the area easily enough that you need to flatten, and you can drill the holes from the inside so why can't you flatten it from inside?

Cheers

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can attempt to flatten from the inside only thing is this will flatten the wrong way come time to bolt on the clutch master!
    Reinforcement on bulkhead needs flattening towards corrado/passat pedel box frame.
    Engne pull out for you I am afraid. Or live with cable operated clutch.

15. transitman Forum Member

Sorry to Steal the thread but I have got to swap my mk2 over from cable to hydralic, Engine is out and I have the corrado pedal box and mastercylinder etc... I never removed the parts from the doner car so could someone who has done this conversion show me some pictures possibly of the location of all the parts. Also does anyone have the hyraulic lines as I never got any!

Thanks
    Mark

16. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely an engine out job, having done this myself.

17. vwd40 Forum Member

I managed it with the engine in, it was a right bsatard but I got it done.

18. damogti Forum Junkie

Mine is a nightmare which i guess yours is also.... i find it so difficult to bring the clutch in smoothly, particularly in 1st and 2nd.... would greasing the cable up make any difference do you think??? Removing the engine to fit the hydrolic clutch is gonna be a no go for me unfortunately....

19. Carl loader Forum Member

Hi Damo. Yours sounds just like mine, definately not very smooth when bringing the pedal up, which i think is what makes the clutch feel a bit grabby. Surely the ibizas from the factory weren't like this?

Also Damo, not sure if you can remember but when you fitted the ibiza cable, did you find that you didn't actually have any free play in the cable? When i say that, im sure that when the cable is in the compressed position, you should be able to fit the cable easily at the gearbox and pedal ends. I found that i had to fit the pedal end first, then remove the long gearbox mount with the small bracket for the cable on, move this towards the clutch release arm, hook the end over the lever then put the mount back in place. I do have about 5mm free play but it was definately not enough to get the cable on normally

Its almost like the cable isn't quite long enough when fitted in a mk2, but im not really sure how to modify it.

20. Carl loader Forum Member

Also Damo, if you got a spare min, could you have a quick look at your clutch cable and see if its started to expand out like it should. the mechanism on mine hasn't, and i think it is because the cable is just to short

Cheers