Fitting manual rack instead of PAS

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MacColl, Sep 26, 2010.

1. MacColl Forum Member

I have a Mk2 91 8v Digifant. Engine is out for welding etc.

The PAS (power assisted steering) I believe works but the cables look really corroded where they join and lead to the rack. The bracket that holds the reservoir is rotten and I TBH could do without the complication of something else potentially having issues when I re-fit the Digifant. I'll be removing the subframe anyway to clean up and paint. I believe you can use Corrado cables and reservoir? so further down the line could I fit the PAS and rack to an engine upgrade like a 16v or other?

My main question is can I remove the PAS from the Digifant and fit a manual rack from an 89 GTI? Will the 91 steering column fit to it? I have discovered a steering rack local to me for a great price and I am used to driving without power steering with my Mk2 Polo. I am simplifying the car visually from big bumper down to a far more basic spec, more early GTI in looks.

Thanks
    MacColl

2. turbotommy Forum Member

Corrado PAS pipes & bottle will fit no problem, non-pas rack is not bolt on to your U/J,even the boot is different (hard to get either boot these days) plus you'll have to remove the pump & replace the belt with a non-pas belt.
    To fix it just get round the scrappy's and take a look at some other VAG cars,think older passats or Seats (cordoba,toledo ibiza etc..)
    Have a look and the bits you don't know,just ask on here.

3. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

depends if its early 89 or late. big bumper mk2 had different column and differenent uj. if its a rack from a later mk2 (one with later column and hazard warning light on column surround) then you should be ok. youll also need manual rack alternator pulley and belt as they run on different plane to pas setup

4. MacColl Forum Member

Thanks for the quick response, so it will be easier sticking with the PAS.

Never really thought about other mk's potentially having the right pipes etc. I've seen a corrado reservoir positioned beside the window washer bottle. The only other thing is there was some sort of cover/splash guard that was poorly fixed underneath the PAS on the bottom end (dam garages!). I take it this will be easy enough to get it into position with the right fixings?

5. MacColl Forum Member

Sorry just noticed the other response, I'll find out if it's an early 89. Might even just buy anyway.

Only 10.

6. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

if its just the rack personally i wouldnt bother.. youll def need the alt. pulley and 90% sure the rack uj will need changing.

coverted my small bumper 89 from pas to manual (pas is quite rare on small bumper i believe but sh*t non the less) and feedback through the wheel is LOADS better.. not as good as you get from a mk1 but much better than you get from the pas setup. ideally you want to rob the rack/uj/pulley from a manual car with later column to be sure youve got the right parts

7. MacColl Forum Member

Excellent thanks, there is a chance I might get all the bits necessary because the car it came off is being broken.

Scotland seems pretty good for Mk2 Golf parts without all the 'Edition tax'. My daily Mk2 Polo however is a nightmare for parts up here. You never see them any more.

8. 50ftdubdemon Forum Member

yea mk2 polos are getting scarse all over.. shame cos theyre wicked little cars.

if hes breaking whole car you should should be sorted.. like i say cant recommend it enough. plus you can sell your pas 'kit' to some scroat looking to score scene points and cover your costs :thumbup:

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes you need to change the uj and the boot, it'll bolt up to your column though.

mk3 and corrado pas pipes fit straight on, later corrado has a nicer bottle setup that fits behind the battery so you could bin the bracket off the inner wing then. just the front pipe from pump to bottle that differs n the mk3/corrado, so make sure you get the bits from the donor to match

10. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

I'll be losing the PAS on my Mk2 16v when the lump comes out for the good old ABF swap. I take it I can still bolt up non-PAS pulleys to the ABF?

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i would keep the abf alternator setup, its way better then the mk2 stuff. to remove pas all you do is unbolt the pas pump and brackets and dont fit the belt. but yeah, mk2 16v stuff will all bolt to the block