Fixing handbrake warning light on mk2 golf

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by saladman, Feb 15, 2023.

1. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Been on my fix list for a while and thought I'd share a cheap and easy fix for this.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 01 - original bulb 01.JPG

Here's the bulb and holder from my mk2 dash. Instead of buying a new bulb I used an LED I already had. I used a 5mm white LED.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 02 - bulb out.JPG

Fairly easy to pull the bulb off and de-solder the wires from the terminals. I think one wire had actually snapped off the bulb at the glass rather than the bulb dying itself.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 03 - LED legs.JPG

I splayed the legs of the LED. Longer leg needs +ve feed, shorted is -ve / ground.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 04 - LED doesn't fit.JPG

I thought LED would fit inside the 'cage' plastic legs but it was a bit too big - you can see how the legs are pushed out and no longer parallel.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 05 - LED in place.JPG

Solution was to snip the plastic housing legs off and 'float' the LED in position. LED needs 3-3.2V, feed is ~12.5V.

I used this LED resistor calculator to confirm resistor needed is 560 ohms and soldered one in series as shown above.

Note that LEDs are polarised / need to be 'the right way around' regarding +ve and -ve voltage connections. We can re-use the existing loom connector since it clips into the white plastic. In this case, +ve voltage comes in on the 'flat' or right side in the photo above. I marked the side of the housing with red pen to remind me while soldering :)

Note that I sanded the LED lens to diffuse the light output to make it more like the output from the original bulb.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 06 - it works.JPG

All back together and fairly happy with the result.

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 07 - different style housing.JPG

2023-02 - handbrake light fix 08 - different style housing LED in place.JPG

I did a second light for another mk2 and found the white plastic part to be slightly different. Note the red pen mark to indicate +ve voltage feed :)

Hope that helps anybody looking for a simple fix.

dodgy, Matt Golf, AndyBa and 3 others like this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

stickied as its a good tip for all the wee bulbs in older cars :thumbup:

saladman likes this.
  3. John A Forum Member

Good work, I did all mine, fiddly as hell but definitely worth it.

saladman likes this.
  4. Gti1990xyz New Member

Saladman,

excellent work. Indeed, if you do not use a resistor the LED will just be very bright then burn out quickly.

I changed my bulb and bodged in a new bulb, perhaps when it fails I will do the LED switch.

The brake light is for the handbrake and the low fluid level switch on the fluid reservoir for hydraulic brakes, I didn't know that and I thought i'd share incase others have overlooked that.

A bit of other info I found, the LEDs on the instrument binnacle are LEDs apart from the full beam, it is just a bulb as blue LEDs did not exist at the time, so it is a clear lamp bulb with blue lampshade.

allymac and saladman like this.