Flashing water Light, MFA Problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Sam Manning, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Sam Manning Forum Member

My Mrk 2 GTI has started a little problem....the water level light will flash which causes the MFA to stop working and also cause the rev counter to stop working!!....They all sort of blip together....spring into life and then dye again...any ideas....any one??
    Edited by: Sam Manning

2. nez1978 Forum Member

yeah,i need this problem attending also. My water light keeps flashing, starting to irratate, coz i keep thinking i have a problem, and i don't. The rev counter kind of blips, then the water light flashes about 8 times. What is this. I sympathise with sam completely, as this is totally annoying.

3. Sam Manning Forum Member

I've been told by someone else that this could be to do with the earth on top of the rocker cover...will look tonight and see what I can find!!!

4. nez1978 Forum Member

nice one let me know how it goes, mines a 16v though, don't recall being able to see any earths on the rocker cover. really annoying problem

5. OutlanderZA New Member

Thiscould also be related to a faulty voltage regulator located at the top of the instrument panel circuit foil. If I remember correctly, it feeds 10v (spec 9.5-10.5V)to both the temp and rev counter. Also, check if the connection it makes is still good since the connector used to hold the regulator is a simple press fit. Try to tighten it up a bit.

6. Sam Manning Forum Member

Where abouts is the instrument panel circuit?

Thanks for this mate

7. OutlanderZA New Member

Its the blue flexible circuit located on the back of the instrument cluster. You'll have to remove the dash face to get at it. Not too tough.

8. Sam Manning Forum Member

Do you need to take the steering wheel off to remove the instrument cluster or can you manoefore it around the wheel!!

9. Jetta Forum Junkie

you can remove it without removing the wheel can be a bit of a squeeze though