Fluidampr Pulley for ABF

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Eires, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Eires New Member

First off, Merry Christmas to everyone!

I thought I saw a thread on this, but I can't seem to find it. Anyways I've found a company that sells a modified 1.8t Fluidampr for the ABF motor. My harmonic balancer is showing its age and I'm wondering if it's worth buying one of these units instead of buying an OEM unit.

Also looking for engine mount recommendations. I have some aftermarket ones that I bought primarily for their durability over the squishy stock ones. They vibrated a lot during the first 5k kms and have since settled down. However, when it's cold they get stiff as all hell and vibrate to the point that I wear earplugs while driving. After they warm up they ate nice and smooth. However since I live in a climate that is iced over half of the year, I'm looking for alternatives.

Link to ABF fluidampr:
    http://www.vdamper.com/VW827-16-VALVE-–-6A-9A-PL-KR-ABF_p_32.html

Link to mounts I have:
    https://blackforestindustries.com/c...products/bfi-stage-5-complete-motor-mount-kit

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

No data exists regarding the benefits of expensive aftermarket dampers parts.

Engine mounts, you did not indicate if the car is a MK3 or otherwise.

3. Eires New Member

Ok, I'll have to decide whether it's worth getting or not. Neither OEM or this one seem to be cheap brand new.

For the mounts it is a MK3. That's why I posted in the Mk3 forum . Sorry should have stated that.

4. Toyotec

Decide on the actual engineering benefits of so called aftermarket shiny bits. Of which there is no data.

That is why folks like myself run stock ones, on turbo'd supercharged, itbs and stock daily drivers.
    If yours is busted up, you can just use a secondhand one.

Dampers are designed to cancel second order harmonic frequencies from crank torsion, within a range of engine speeds. The stock item is good to 8000+ rpm.

5. Eires New Member

Oh I agree, I'm not just looking to throw on expensive things because they look cool. I've done research on these pulleys for the past few months and every thread and test result I see is positive. HP and torque gain is minor but that is not what I'm going after. Trying to calm down the vibration in my engine bay (a lot of which I still think is related to engine mounts) is my main goal. All forums I have read up on indicate a reduction in vibration at idle and at high engine RPM. I know a lot of performance drag cars use these style of dampers here in North America.

6. Toyotec

Research done by looking at other internet opinion is not really in depth and only leads to the blind leading the blind.
    Had you said you read a book, magazine or a chapter on crankshaft stiffness, rigidity, harmonics, I would be eager myself to be enlightend.

You have heard all 'positive' reviews from folks on the internet who themselves are equally blinded by a hype, they have no means to measure.

These is no gain in power or torque and you will not be able to tell any in cabin NVH differences, between new stock, your worn damper and in fact most aftermarket offerings, the latter in my experience with ABF engines are a complete waste of money.
    Your VW damper is tuned to keep the failure/fatigue of the crank due to 2nd order oscillations out of the usable engine operating envelope. These are high frequency oscillations, due to crank stiffness and not to be confused by "imbalance". Engineering colleagues, put crankshafts through several destructive tests on jigs, with FEA used to further determine the fatigued areas how the damper is to be tuned.

If you want 'smoother' operation due to NVH you can feel, I can assure you, your damper is not the place you look.
    'That is not a measurable you or the internet have access to measure on a crankshaft stamping.

I am aware a lot of consumers have bought these dampers, in the US were they originate from. Marketing aside, non seem to have any engineering reason or test data but have no shortage of opinion.

Your money though and you fit what you wish.

Those pucks used for the front engine/gearbox mount are likely to cause the concern you are experiencing regarding vibration.

7. Eires New Member

Fair enough, you have a point. In that case are there any dampers from VAG engines besides the ABA that I can machine down to fit the ABF timing cover? The reason i exclude the ABA is that there are not as many in the wrecker yards anymore and most of them tend to be in pretty ugly shape.

Even if the damper won't prevent NVH, it still needs to be replaced, I had an ABA one turned to proper fitment but the shop that did it must have had a fair amount of runout during turning because it wobbles. Since they machine the 1.8t Fluidampr down to fit a 16v, would that work with a 1.8t OEM unit as well?

I'll look into the front pucks. Also I now have access to a lathe so modifying an OEM damper is no issue for me now.

8. Toyotec

No.
    You must the ABF one as that is tuned for that engine.
    The rubber perishes as the dampening is dissipated as heat.

Us Europeans, might have more access to the correct damper in reasonable condition.

1.8T EA827 and EA113 engines have harmonics and so run a different damper.

9. Eires New Member

Gotcha, right now I'm using a modified ABA one as I said before. My original ABF damper has a crack in the casting through one of the bolt holes which is why I did not reuse it. Maybe I should throw that one back on in the mean time? I'll also keep looking for a used unit online, however if you or anyone else has a good used unit, I'd be interested in buying it.

10. Toyotec

I might have one or two spare.
    Will have a look on Monday.

11. Eires New Member

That would be great, thanks.

12. basilknife Forum Member

I have recently ‘upgraded’ my engine mounts on my 1.8t mk3 golf for vibratehnic ones.
    i now get a lot more vibration at all rpm but especially between 2-3000 rpm.
    I was considering the fluidampr but it’s a lot of money.
    It makes my door cards and all sorts of stuff behind the dash make a lot of noise.

apart from going stock engine mounts and rebuilding the car clip by clip to eliminate rattles, where would you start to help smooth the engine out?

13. Eires New Member

I was looking at the Vibratechnic mounts, they do the same thing eh? That's disappointing There has to be something out there for the mk3 that is more durable than stock but doesn't rattle your car apart.

There is of course the thread that talks about hockey puck mod for the front mount. That's the only other thing I've been able to find. Link below.
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...ckey-puck-mk3-type-front-engine-mount.249785/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  14. Eires New Member

Hey Toyotec, did you find any spare ABF harmonic balancers lying around?

15. Toyotec

Thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that.
    Will have a dig around after working hours tomorrow.