flywheel shearing off ! AGAIN

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by loadsavalves, Oct 29, 2005.

1. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

I've just stripped my gearbox off to find the problem i had is that the flywheel has sheared of from the pressure plate as in the 9 bolts have all snapped [:x] the engine is a 9A with 170bhp and 143ftlb. the clutch and flywheel is from the kr 1.8 and the gearbox is a 2Y. Has anyone else had this problem and if so is there a way to stop it happening again
    Edited by: loadsavalves

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Replace the flywheel bolts everytime and don't rev it so hard :lol:

IanB had this problem with his, using revs of 7800rpm.
    Edited by: GVK

3. druids16v New Member

did the flywheel maul the box?

Im sure ive seen a flywheel bolt set advertised somewhere.

have a search on the net

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

New bolts + Loctite 270 every time. Torque settings are low, so don't over tighten. Clean threads with brake & clutch in advance.

5. loadsavalves

Cheers guys it was a bit of a shock when I went for forth gear and nothing happened :lol: . The box has a bit of a groove around the inside now which has gone to a slight crack at the bottom of the bellhousing [:D] a mates going to get this welded for me, so as long as that welds ok then I've got away very lightly.

6. KieranC Forum Member

i've heard horror stories about flywheels coming loose and severing limbs or worse, sounds like you got off very lucky.

7. Broke Forum Member

What happened to the two 6mm locating pins that engage the PP slots?

New bolts are not specified by VW, nor is the use of loctite on them. Most clutch install kits include them, but they aren't required to be replaced with each use like the 6 bolts securing the pressure plate to the crank.

As mentioned above, over tightening them can cause them to break, it is only 15 ft-lbs.

Broke

8. Golden Forum Junkie

Agreed, I've never had this problem.

I'd also echo the question, what happened to the dowels???

9. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I always replace them on a clutch change after hearing stories of them breaking.

10. Bundles Forum Junkie

Seen one tear through the bellhousing and embed itself in the bonnet before, hell of a bang it made too[8(]

11. rradogolfman Forum Member

i always replace them too as they only cost 3.40 and im sure i read somewhere that they are stretch bolts,,, ;)

12. Broke Forum Member

I'm not saying it isn't a good idea if you don't know who installed them previously, and if they are included in a clutch install kit, I will use them, but I don't go out of my way to replace them on my own cars everytime because I don't over-tighten them during the previous install.

If in doubt, as you mentioned they're not expensive, replace them. It can not be construed in any way to be a bad thing, it just isn't absolutely required. :)

No doubt you have read to replace them everytime, threads such as this one and other sources repeat this information all the time, but you'll be hard pressed to find anything from VW stating they are a 'one time use' fastener. ;)

I'm also certainly not saying it is impossible for one to break, sometimes things break, even when only used once, and properly torqued, but as far as VW rules go, they don't list it as a stretch bolt like they do for so many other fasteners.

I'm mainly curious about what happened to the 6mm locating dowels or roll pins in the flywheel. Did it shear those? Were they there to start with? Were the 2 6mm pins located in the right spots in the PP? Was it a mix of parts with a MK3 PP and MK2 flywheel by chance (VW changed from 2 6mm pins to a single 7mm pin, and you must use the correct pressure plate with the particular flywheel you use)? Did the install go smoothly? etc...

Broke

13. Golden Forum Junkie

I would totally agree.

I suspect as Broke says, the problem may lay with those who have worked on the cars before you get a problem.

A bolt that seems fine could have been weakened sometime in its life by being whizzed in with an air gun.

14. matt d Forum Member

I always thought they were stretch bolts but maybe that's because they stretch so easily [:s]

15. loadsavalves

The two roll pins sheared off when the bolts let go, as for the pp and flywheel it was a new 1.8 16v LUK kit so 2y gearbox kr flywheel,clutch and pressure plate. I've done quite a few mk2 gti clutches in my time and this is the first to have problems and also the only one that was on a more powerful engine! all i can do is to bolt it all back together when vw get the bl**dy roll pins in stock using the above tips and see what happens.

16. Golden Forum Junkie

When you did them them up did tighten them progressively jumping back and forth across the pressure plate?

the only thing I can think of is that maybe they were unevenly loaded.

Any blots going around a rotating mass tend to work like fuse, as soon as one goes the others follow very quickly.

17. loadsavalves

good point. I'm pretty sure that i did them up clockwise and not diagonaly [:$]

18. Broke Forum Member

Cool, thanks for the feedback on the rollpins. Did it actually tear them in two, leaving part in the flywheel, or did they just get yanked out and mangled?

I was looking through an old CD of pics, and found some pics that made me think of this thread. Here is an example of how strong the flywheel bolts are...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see in the second pic the imprint of the roll pin.

Granted, all 9 bolts contributed to the bending of the plate, but that bolt nearest the bend should have been under a great deal of stress.

A shop did this work, I found it 50K miles later like that, the bolts were still holding.

Broke
    Edited by: Broke

19. Brunty

Brunty Forum Member

I accidentally did that to my own car when I was in a hurry - the vibration at anything over 3500 revs was pretty bad and I was afraid it was going to frag on me.

My lesson learned. Don't hurry clutch/gearbox jobs!!!

Brunty

20. loadsavalves

they were snapped in two leaving half of each pin stuck in the flywheel :lol:
    Edited by: loadsavalves