Forest tyres / knobblies, but road legal ones? Update.

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by A.N. Other, Dec 18, 2010.

1. barny Forum Member

Chris, i know its a 4x4 but it hasnt any locking diffs so not so effective as you'd think, our range rover has massive m+s pimp my ride 19"ers on it and i thought it would but utter doggy poo in the snow especially as we live in the bottom of a very steep sided single track lane vally. If provoked you could spin the wheels to get the traction control to cut in - which amusingly is the kind that can be over powered by the engine, not the power robbing kind ot trc! But it had way more grip and control than the 110 defender with mud terrain tyres on at work.

We've also sold a shed load of winter specific tyres, two full sets on the continental driving Extra lwb sprinters in the untis behind us. Both drivers of these where pleased as punch with the new grip and both reported legendary amounts of grip in europe in the snow!

I'm also curoius with the rally tyre idea but from first hand experience of m+s and known locals with the winter specific tyres it may be worth (and maybe cheaper if you ask me nicely) for an alternative to rally tyres.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Agree, I am coming round to the Max Sport type winter / M&S tyres, rather than the knobblies. They seem to be at the softer end of the scale, motorsport use intended, and so compromise wear for grip. The knobblies have compromised cornering, and (as above) work better on virgin snow / or grassy fields etc. The M&S clearly have got better wet tarmac capabilty / lateral grip.

Everything's a compromise really - it's getting as bad as selecting a tyre for the next rally stage!

What makes have you seen for winter / M&S tyres?

3. majic79 Forum Member

Oh hell yeah, the RB1s are at the bottom end of the scale for performance, and pricewise as well - the main reason I got them is because I do two events a year that might need them - I'll probably get two years out of them, then rotate to the back and buy a new pair - most of the time I'll be on tarmac tyres. Actually found that most of the gravel tyres that were used on the rally were useless, but the peeps on RB1's and similar open pattern wet mud style of tyre did better, the rally was historically muddy, so it was the right tyre for the conditions

If I had the money for it, I'd have got some hankooks - they're 110 a corner though, vs 60 a corner for maxsport

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  4. barny Forum Member

The Pimprover has Goodyear Kerching something or others (will check)

The Allroad at work has Pirelli Allroad specific, again brilliant in the snow towing a dead weight car up a steep farm/drive onto un-used country lane. Sadly i ws sat in the dead golf trying to huff on the windscren to see out!

Will get back to you on the winter spec tyres, they were commercial grade ones mind.

What size ya after ? txt me tomorrow will find u a price :thumbup:

5. barny Forum Member

[​IMG]

Top shelf, second from right hand side, look very familier ;)

Bottom shelf second from left hand side would be ideal for my old landrover too, any luck on the supplier yet ?

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Is the Golf not well? :(

Those tyres second from top right do look very familiar! I can't see the good old non E-marked Intermediates there either, but I bet they are, although I think they're all 'Ring friendly marked these days! I thought I'd stepped back in time to before Colway ceased to exist! [:*:] The company was called Mark Gum Sport, and on a Google, it's Polish. Must have been here trying to set up an importer deal I would say, as I can't see any UK suppliers.

Folks will be amused to hear there was an ex-Prodrive Subaru WRC car on the Colway Noras at the Croft Christmas Stages. Not quite the right tyre for the wet tarmac conditions, once the slush had gone, judging by the times tho.

Sizes I'm after are either 14s or 15s, very much car rather than commercial, but I'm just really interested to see what's about. I've had my eye off this ball for several years. The Max Sports are looking really good for price atm.

7. barny Forum Member

Not my car, he's fine. Was a mk4 with a hole in the sump we were towing back to work during the snowy period.

I have some pics i'll host up later of the Hankooks on the sprinters and an A6 that was in work yesterday with an unfamilier brand.

8. barny Forum Member

Pics as promised, just a tad later than expected ....

Looks like the Sprinter wheels which i had to change back over recently, all fecking four of them as theyre to tight to buy a second set of wheels
    [​IMG]

Audi A6, shockingly ****e car but ....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These wheels are bloody light, nothing to them really!

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  9. barny Forum Member

Dont remember this one, but on my phone .....
    [​IMG]

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All set now! Snow forecast? [:s] !!

Thank you Barny!

11. matt~driver Forum Member

hi just what to tag a bit on to this I have a set of yokohama a035s but there not e marked and say for competition use only on them what do you recon about using them on the road

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

They look like a forest tyre!

[​IMG]

E-marks are only required for tyres sold, not required by the end user, but comp use only is crystal clear. For a car not in a competition, they fail the suitabilty test in Construction & Use => not legal/recommended, but not as risky as a slick!

13. matt~driver Forum Member

lots of ppl use them for road ralling and in some way there in a competition then