FPR, fuel rail and injector advice for pseudo-ABF

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by thegeo, Mar 9, 2015.

1. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

hello

I have a golf 2 running Hayabusa ITBs on a tall block 16v and MS2 v3.57
    I have recently returned to the UK with the car and have to fit at "standard intake" to make it legal for UK road rallies.
    it is a bit noisy

i have purchased various bits including an ABF manifold, tb and fuel rail, as well as a corrado vr6 air box

with the ITBs, i had an external Fuel Pressure Regulator that I would like to keep. since its non OEM injection, I figured that i should post here

question 1: is there a way to delete the fuel pressure regulator on a STOCK ABF fuel rail without creating a "petrol fountain" under the bonnet and keep using the external adjustable item? gut the stock one and weld up the vac outlet for instance?

on ITBs and with a compression of about 8.5:1, i had 163bhp at the wheels. (bought cheap dish top JE pistons for a 16v turbo, then changed my mind!)[8(]

with a set of dome tops at 11:1 i might get a bit more:clap:
    along with some big cams, it has the "spare" head of this thing
    http://www.motorsport.com/general/photo/main-gallery/7-jon-nichols-and-carl-schenk-1995-vw-golf-gti-grp-10/
    which won the Canadian 2WD championship 6 times, even if it did get stacked into a snowbank on its last big outing at the 05 Tall Pines....

Question 2: how much headroom do I have on the stock injectors? I don't imagine that I'll get past 180bhp. do i need bigger ones, and how hard is that to organise, given that they are the short ABF side fed items?

Question 3: in the cellar, I have a fuel rail off a 1.8T. would it be more straightforward to make that fit, with the set of Evo IX injectors that I happen to also have in the cellar..... bearing in mind that this also needs the stock FPR to be deleted, some injector seats fitting and a bit of creative bracketry

thanks

Geraint

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. not sure on that one, as you can see the abf rail is a bit 'fancy' so unless you can machine something to drop in the fpr hole i dont know how you could bypass it? maybe as you say you can gut it out

2. not sure on headroom for stock abf injectors but if you split the rail and just keep the bottom half the holes left by the old injectors suit normal bosch type injectors iirc, though you'll have to fab something to hold it all together obviously.

3. not sure if the 20v rail will squeeze in, but if so the answer to question 2 above may help you in your quest :)

oh an on a side note, the abf fpr is the same as found on the 20v so 4 bar ones are available if thats any help at all

3. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

Hello John,

been playing a bit today!
    I made some heavy duty brackets to support the ABF plenum on the KR head. It was a nice day for welding and grinding in the back garden, as I'm sure my neighbours agree.

Late last night ordered a set of RMR injector bungs to fit stock bosch injectors to try something like this
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5607800-ABF-Manifold-EFI-16V-A-How-To.
    I should stop using ebay after a few cold ones....

I guess that i should have just gone with using the bottom half of the ABF rail as you suggested! still, I'm a bit loath to disassemble it, as really it's my insurance policy.

the 20V rail doesn't fit, as the FPR "socket" fouls on the manifold. Right now, i'm thinking of chopping off the socket and fitting a plain return tube to the space on the end of the rail that it used to occupy. otherwise the injector spacing is perfect.
    I must take some piccys and figure out how to post them.

the Lancer evo IX injectors are all wrong. they don't fit at either end and are about twice as much cc/min as i need.

4. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Get some pics up ;) we can see what your trying to do then
    Photobucket then copy img code ;)

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

votex link looks tidy, I would just make up some brackets to go between the rail and the stock injector rail holes. i recon you're onto a winner with the 20v rail shouldnt be hard to get the end adapted how you need it :thumbup:

6. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

cheers for the advice

I got the injector bungs today, so just need some injectors and will start.
    I'll photobucket as I go. Might be mid april before i post though

meanwhile if you are in need of audio visual stimulation, here's a vid of the car when it was still a k jet 8 valve and before the quaife

https://youtu.be/MmOIkHi_KTg

7. thegeo

thegeo Forum Member

A bit more AV sillyness.

This is the setup that I'm having to take off, in order to fit an ABF manifold, to make the car legal for UK road rallies.

https://youtu.be/m8jetNXqcGo

was really difficult to cold start when the MFA looked like this
    [​IMG]

[:x]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015