[Free Beer] Please, can anyone help...

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Toffs, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Toffs Forum Member

... my hair from falling out...

It's been weeks of mucking around trying to stop the Multi Function Display & RPM Guage 'crashing'.

There must be some kind chap/chapess out there who can spend a few min with some advice? (Will send paypal payment for a beer for first correct answer (i will, i PROIMISE)

Car: 91 Reg 8v GTi, motometer dials - Crashes on ignition (even with all other 'big' power-drawing devices off). Thought it was my starter motor taking too much power (because it was feeble) or the voltage stabilsation valve - both replaced and not fixed prob.

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=97869&PN= 1

Remember - Free Beer Payment through paypal for correct solution !

:)

**EDIT: its been so long since i posted i've still got this silly 'tut' sig [:s]
    Edited by: Toffs

2. octane Forum Junkie

knackered xrelief relay? [:s]

3. Toffs Forum Member

hey - maybe your onto something there... Sometimes on cold days (like today, my bollox frooze off doing the starter motor) you can here some 'clicking' from the fuse box - don't remember relays going on and off on start up before...

What do i do to check/fix to see if this is the prob ? (gets paypal account ready for free beer money: )
    Edited by: Toffs

4. octane Forum Junkie

Not sure how to check it sorry.

5. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Check the earth wire that goes onto the top right had side of the engine , make sure there are no wires hanging down that have broke off if so connect them all back to the earth bolt, this can make the MFA show bugger all when engine running & cranking and sometimes show the time fine when keys are out