Friday afternoon musings - 16v abf block - keep or go 9a/KR?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MJA, Nov 11, 2022.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    I'm going to be removing the engine from my mk2 as I would like to paint the engine bay and sort a rust repair on the turret. The car itself is an original 16v but with an ABF block under the K jet fuelling.

I know the ABF is a good engine but is it the "best" option to have under my bonnet in my scenario? I want to keep the K Jet and to fit the ABF properly I need to fit a mk3 subframe (and probably cut the bonnet inards although will likely get away with it if i go mk3 subframe and cut down the rear engine mount as the R32 boys do). My bonnet sits proud of wing on driver side currently.

So, engine wise, is what I have "better" than say a 9a with KR cams? Or is it just much of a much-ness. My ABF has done 86k and runs nicely. The 9a will fit better but if my ABF is a better engine generally then I'll make it work.

Cheers
    Matt

2. daNpy Forum Member

Abf with throttle bodies I would say [:D]

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no need to use mk3 mounts to fit the abf 'properly' it wont help with the height though you could use a corrado vr6 subframe which drops the engien down 5mm on that side. I never needed to cut the bonnet either but if yours is an early one it wont have the extra clearance dimple in it

4. MJA

yeah it is odd on mine - 91 J reg, appears to be original bonnet. The subframe is a mk2 but looks to be pattern part.

Just wondering if the ABF + Kjet is the "best" option out of 9A vs ABF? 9A would solve the height issues.

I think an ABF on a digi manifold would sit lower than the Kjet manifold so perhaps that contributes if it is not the pattern part subframe. I can get away cutting down a rear engine mount if i installed a mk3 (or Corrado sounds like it is lower and would work but I already have a spare mk3 frame).

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

didnt have any issues when mine was on kjet either, but maybe my mount was a little squished/shorter seem to remember reading some have slight variance.

if you're running it on kjet either engine will do you fine at the end of the day

yeah assuming the measurements shown on here for a mk3 subframe are correct, the corrado vr6 one in my shed measured 5mm shorter on the driver side cup. not really worth the effort of trying to source one if you have mk3 already and are able to shorten it yourself

MJA likes this.
  6. MJA

7. daNpy Forum Member

If you can't bend it, dent it? :lol:

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Mine had that as KJet, as did both vehicles from "How to ABF your MK2 Golf".
    Tall block first world issues [:D]

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

9A and ABF same bore stroke. Main difference is rod length, longer on the ABF. ABF heavier.
    I've run both as rally race engines, never as a daily, so my view is different to many.
    They both go great, in full race form 3500 to 7500rpm, (ish)
    My preference (I think..) is 9A, purely for the weight saving
    Probably not a lot of help, but, hey ho
    Jon

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Same 82.5 x 92.8 mm dimensions yes, as is most VW 2.0 4 cylinders to this very day. However the longer 159 mm rod of the ABF, results in less piston skirt side loading and greater TDC dwell for combustion expansion.
    That and all the rest of goodies we have spoken on this forum.