FRONT CROSSMEMBER & SUBFRAME BOLTS - SPECS

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Richard Mk2, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Hey guys.

I'm half way through my rebuild, and unfortunately I've misspaced a few bolts for the front crossmember and the subframe. ( I'm sure i still have them, but unsure what goes where ).

Has anyone got the specific and correct sizes / part numbers for the bolts which hold these in ?

I've found a few online, but I'm 99% sure the front crossmember used two quite smaller bolts ( one either side ), which bolted into the chassis legs, as well as the two bolts (either side ) which screw through the bumper irons.

Any help would be much apprecaited.

Cheers. [8D]

2. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Did much the same thing myself, thankfully they eventually turned up which was good as if I recall correctly replacements cost a small fortune.

May or may not be different ones depending on year / engine, double check that for yourself, the below is for a 1991 PB engined car...

Link gives the various bolt measurements should you have to source some that are other than the factory ones.

Without checking I'd imagine some, if not all the correct ones are at the very least 10.9 tensile strength and possibly even 12.9, can't remember all these years later... someone who's willing to crawl under their car might be able to confirm.

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf/go/1991-110/1/199-64000/#7

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2023
    Richard Mk2 and daNpy like this.
  3. Steffen Forum Member

Bolts are normally 10.9 - here`s the overview incl measurements. Also had to sort through the bolts since the company that re-plated my bolts just threw everything together. Keep in mind that the thread pitches are often different from standard bolts.

upload_2023-11-17_15-4-14.png

upload_2023-11-17_15-3-52.png
    upload_2023-11-17_15-5-17.png
    upload_2023-11-17_15-5-35.png

Richard Mk2 likes this.
  4. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Guys, thanks for the detailed replies above. Really appreciate that :thumbup:

I’m hoping I’ll still have the majority of these to hand once I’ve measured the assortment of bolts I have in the lock up. And if new ones are needed, the info above will help a lot.
    Cheers guys [8D]