front hubs with more castor

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Swampyloving, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I've got both VR6 bits and 16v in my store plus the fancy uprights I got off RobT :thumbup:
    As I've got to take the engine out I'm thinking of fitting the trick hubs anyway so what problems would I face fitting these with VR6 wishbones ?

I know what Nige is planning as he bought all the bits he needs off me yesterday but I'm willing in the name of science lol to experiment with other options as I've got all the bits already and it's not going to cost me anything to play around with these ideas :thumbup:
    Parts list ? How to ?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all mk3s are widetrack, so we need to differentiate widetrack and 4/5 stud in this thread as well as castor differences.

to sum up, 4 stud mk3 use the same bearing carrier, hub and ball joint as mk2. they also have the same fitment roll bar, the only difference is the wishbone, trackrod and driveshafts are all longer to push the wheel outwards. apart from the wider track, steering geometry is all the same as mk2. ball joint is fixed with a bolt thru the bottom of the bearing carrier

5 stud mk3 and corrado use a different bearing carrier, hub and ball joint. both the wishbone and balljoint are offset forwards by the same amount, thus changing the castor but not moving the wheel in the arch. the roll bar is different fitment to the wishbone, and of course the track rod, wishbone and driveshaft are all longer. ball joints have a thread on top, which goes thru a hole in the bearing carrier and secured with a nut.

in regards to brake fitment, mk2/3 4 and 5 stud caliper carrier bolt spacing is the same, but the disc offsets change on 5 stud. if you compare a 4 stud and 5 stud disc you'll notice the disc is much flatter on a 5 stud so if you wanted to convert a 5 stud bearing carrier to 4 stud with a 4 stud hub you would need to find a suitable disc or just redrill 5 stud discs to suit. plus change the outer CV joint as the spline differs 4 to 5.

track rod ends are same for all mk2/3 pas/manual, all the differences are in the track rod.

some have modded a wishbone to accept a different ball joint, but this will move the wheel in the arch and affect the castor further to what was stock on the bearing carrier you fit. this may or may not be acceptable, depending on your steering geometry calculations ;)

P.S. By bearing carrier I mean the bit that attaches to ball joint, track rod end and suspension strut, hub being the spinny bit in the middle that the wheel bolts to [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
    Nige likes this.
  3. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Just one addition to that. By going Wider track through longer Wishbones & driveshafts, the Kingpin angle will be changed. It`s the angle of the line drawn from the topmount (which is fixed) and the bottom ball joint (which is moved outwards). For all intents and purposes with our use, I don`t see it making a noticeable difference, but worth clarifying that it will have a small effect on the geometry :thumbup:

I know this because Gurds explained it to me yesterday lol

4. rubjonny

see I should definitely stick to wiring :lol:

one interesting note on the kingpin thingy, mk3 strut tops are further apart than mk2 which I assume brings the kingpin angle back to or close to mk2 with the longer wishbones, but on the Corrado the struts are the same distance apart as the mk2. so the kingpin angle may change the same amount when the 5 stud gear is bolted on the VR6 models?

Nige likes this.
  5. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Duh didn't think about castor moving the wheel forward in the arch when changing bottom specs [:s]

But if you adjust from the top turret adjustment this affects bump steer ? ( and now I'm in to deep [:s])

I know my special 16v uprights have had the track rod arms altered to affect turn in and bump steer but I'm still trying to figure these out ( I think Sparrow and Blis among others know about this ) but not me lol

So the aim of this thread is ?
    Best standard parts to improve track / race car front geometry / feel ?
    What minor changes can be made to the top mounting to help ?
    What changes will benefit the bottom mounting positions ?
    For standard Mk2 front end set up
    For wide track mk2 and mk3
    So we are looking at ?
    Camber
    Castor
    Roll centre
    Bump steer
    Have I missed anything and what's already be covered in other threads ? Can we correlate all the info into one track car front suspension thread ?

6. Swampyloving Forum Member

feedback both on forum and email recived is much appreciated...but know going right over my head........if only the answer was stick a such and such bit off a corrado on and you will be sorted.....guess nothing is as easy as this hay. i take my hat off to all those that like ..experimenting..
    cheers

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Have you not though of just fitting adjustable top mounts. ?

Dead easy, can add caster and / or camber without messing with your hubs etc. Might be an easier route for you.

8. shockerboy Forum Member

Food for thought . the castor angle is simply a line drawn from the centre of the top shock pin to the lower ball joint , that lines difference to a vertical line is the Castor angle . it can be changed by moving the top back or the bottom ball joint forward . however its done . Modern cars run higher degrees of castor BUT the more the angle the stiffer the steering gets so if you don't run power steering don't go to far . Moving the top mount back does not increase bump steer . ( lowering the car too much does ) Just a little bit of advise , Castor gives more camber on the outer wheel and lessens camber on the inner wheel during turns . CAMBER is more effective on a race car because it works at slight steering angles ( faster corners, and sweeps ) castor only gives usable camber angles with bigger steering inputs.

9. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

all good advice there....castor is only really useful for sharp corners, chicanes etc, but is useful IMO for race cars if you have this situation so you can run less camber in general.

im not a big fan of high camber setups, it compromises traction and braking, so as little -ve as possible should be used. this is where higher castor setups come in for the occasional tight corner that can bugger your outer tyre edges up.

shockerboy likes this.
  10. Notso Swift Forum Member

With above
    I can't think of a situation where you would want more static negative camber than castor gain

Think of it this way if yo have 3 deg static and 2 deg castor then you turn the car you have a reducing amount of negative camber. Logic says if you are turning you want more, even if only to counter the change in dynamic camber from roll

Unless I was a manufacture trying to dial in some push, but they will be using positive camber anyway

11. shockerboy Forum Member

3 degrees of static camber will only increase with castor on the out side wheel NOt reduce camber , Sorry Notso swift don't understand your point ??

12. Notso Swift Forum Member

Because the car rolls during turn by more than the camber gain, you want to counter that otherwise you have a net camber loss.
    Compare the wheel and the ground, not the chassis!

Nige likes this.
  13. shockerboy Forum Member

Ok I understand what you are saying and of course the reason we run camber is to keep the outer tyre as flat to the ground as possible in turns ( When the body is rolling )
    The amount of camber technically needs to increase the more body roll the car has . IE a normal suspension will allow the car to roll more than say a track set up , or capable sport kit ,. The negative of too much camber is wheel spin ( particularly off the line ) My experience is the positive of lots of camber , far out way the negatives and there fore 4 to 4.5 degrees is what we run with full race suspension and hard springs , this allows you to throw a car into the corner with confidence and it wont wash the nose . ( note with out L S D, our regs did not allow for them)
    )

14. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

[​IMG]

Forward is spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. mec82 Forum Member

I use mk3 non gti wishbones with mk2 hubs etc. This pushes the ball joint forward and gives more castor. Ib needed to stay 4 stud because of brakes and wheels.

Also has advantage of pushing wheel forward which should improve wheelbase and weight distribution.

Ideally i would choose mk3 gti setup and then use wishbone extender plates to give even more castor

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  16. rubjonny

the non-gti mk3 wishbones are the same as the mk2 just longer, so it doesnt give and castor change? its the 5 stud wishbones that move the ball joint position, but if you use with 4 stud bearing carriers it will move the wheel so its no longer central in the arch

17. mec82 Forum Member

Yeah sorry they are mk3 gti wishbones, and mk2 carriers. It's the driveshaft s that are mk3 td.

It's not central in the arch but I think the additional wheelbase is useful with the wider track as well.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

18. mec82 Forum Member

only photo I can put my hands on, can see the wheel sits further forward but not that noticeable. It helps that I've got adjustable top mounts as well.

[​IMG]

19. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

20. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

Yup [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk