Front/Rear Washer Pump Wiring

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Ollie_d, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Ollie_d New Member

I'm in the process of trying to get my golf back on the road after switching to ITB's. How ever, I am hopeless with wiring, need to learn at some point.

Anyway, I'm moving the windscreen washer bottle to the boot and then running the tube, with inline valve to the front. I don't have a rear washer so the wiring for that is currently redundant. As I see it I will switch the front wire for the rear wire at the fuse box (CE1) to get it working by pulling the stalk for the front wash.

1. Am I right to think that if I swap pin C9 with pin E7, pulling the stalk to operate front wash would then operate the rear?
    2. Any recommendations for good terminal removal tools?

Cheers

2. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I've done the same in my mk1 (Scirocco) - can't remember the pin numbers off hand - and it works fine.

I would advise fitting a one-way valve in-line to stop the fluid flowing back to the bottle. I think I got mine from carbuilder soluti

This pair of tools or similar cover most terminals (except the fat found ones in the mk1 fusebox connectors) -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Terminal-E...9394402&sr=8-7&keywords=terminal+removal+tool

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I dont rate those tools, I have the green version and its pretty hopeless.

The proper TE/AMP tool is pretty cheap, and farnell have most of the VW terminals you'll ever need:
    http://uk.farnell.com/te-connectivity/305183/extraction-tool-series-1/dp/1680528

Later cars have a 6.3mm spade plug on the rear washer pump wire in plug E, so you could replicate this. snip the rear washer wire off the fusebox and put a spade on it then do the same for the wire from plug C and plug them together. This way the front and rear looms can still be split from each other in future :thumbup: