Front Seat refitting

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by paulm2322, Sep 9, 2021.

1. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi folks,

Can anyone help me with refitting my drivers seat please? I removed it to regrease the rails.

I’ve managed to refit the seat but have two problems. I can’t get the seat to lock into place when I’m sat on it, it’s just glides forwards and backwards. It will lock into place if I’m not sat in it.

I found this (attached pic)which must have fell off on removal. I’ve no idea where it’s supposed to go and if it’s affecting the locking position of the seat.

Aslo, I don’t know how to refit the locking pin to finish the job.

many help much appreciated.

cheers,

Paul

Attached Files:

2. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hello, Paul,

That fits into the central mounting point - the locating prong facing camera fits into a slot in the bracket. Though if it's fallen out, I suspect it may be no longer secure. As I recall, it cushions the central rail under the seat.

Getting the locking pin to engage with the handle on the seat is a tricky job; I've always put the pin into the tube before bringing the seat forwards to enter the front mounting, moving the lever as necessary to meet the 'U' shaped adaptor on the pin just before persuading the rail into the mounting.

paulm2322 likes this.
  3. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As Dougie says that's your culprit, it's fallen out as you slid the seat forward normally the lug breaks off altogether.

paulm2322 likes this.
  4. paulm2322

paulm2322 Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Dougie,

I managed to get the spacer back on and seat now locks into position.

got the retaining clip in by pushing it in at the correct end!

Cheers folks

Paul

5. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Ah,

I thought you meant the retracting pin used to secure the seat. Paynes mentions a nut & bolt used as a safety stop, as with earlier models, though I don't recall ever seeing one in these cars.