Front suspension trample cause and fix?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Rustbuster, Aug 16, 2021.

1. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

Hi guys,
    So, recently lit up the front tyres in an enthusiastic launch on a dry road and got a wicked trample through the front wheels. And it’s done this every time since. Does anyone know the cause of this as I would like to eliminate it? Got brand new Bilstein B4’s with original springs. Replaced both track control arm bushes on both sides about ten years ago but they’ll only have done about 3000 miles. Same with the top suspension bearing mounts. Got a new manual rack too with no play I can find anywhere. Car’s an 1984 8v GTI (EV engine). Any thoughts as always greatly received? Cheers.

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Assuming everything is tight... I'd be suspicious of the rear bushes in the front wishbone. They're possibly perished or gone soft with age. The standard upgrade is to use Audi S3/TT bushes, direct fit, aa lot firmer but not harsh.

8N0 407 181

Rustbuster likes this.
  3. Rustbuster

Thanks man! On the list.:thumbup:

Tristan likes this.
  4. watercooled Forum Member

I have never seen the front support mount rubber's go ….not to say they won't fail however.
    Make sure your subframe bolts are tight (59ft/lbs I think) did some heavy launches with my modded 3A (just fitted in mk2 ) showing off and after that things seemed a little odd,found almost all subframe bolts loose ...all good after that no issues,cheers.

Rustbuster likes this.
  5. Rustbuster

All good stuff, that’s an easy enough check and I did have the subframe off a little while ago. I’ll check em! Cheers.