Frying Tonight!

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Mike_H, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Mike_H Forum Addict

Not sure what I'm supposed to be learning from that pic, but it looks very nice ;) Maybe a bit of festive tinsel to finish it off?

On a less flippant note, I'm more and more convinced that the fuel heater is making a big difference to the running of the car, as well as just starting and warm up. It feels a lot more willing, smoother in parts of the rev range / throttle open where it used to be really jerky, and I think the fuel economy is better as well. Too early to be sure, but I'll know more at the end of this tankful.

It's going to get a bit colder this week, so we'll see how it does then.

Changed the fuel filter at the weekend, as it had done about 700 miles on the 25% veg blend, and it wasn't due for a change on mileage, but the filter wasn't new either.

2. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

picture is the veggie boost you need to use if you thin it out with Petrol

you will get silghtly low MPG on veggie oil than Diesel but not much less

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

OK, so 5% petrol on its own is a bad idea? Saves me making a silly mistake then!

Properly cold this morning... Opened the car, switched on glow plugs and fuel heater. Scraped ice off side windows, removed windscreen cover, cycled glow plugs a 2nd time, started on about the 4th or 5th turn of the engine (first turn of the key) and idled a little rough for the first 20 seconds. I then had to de-ice the windscreen, as it started frosting up in the 60 seconds it had been exposed. [:s]

4. Brookster

5% of petrol on its own works ok , but the petrol will lower the cetane (power) rating of the veg oil.

by the sounds your injection pump is worn that's why its taking a few turns to fire up.

if you get chance get a spare pump and get it rebuilt , the difference is amazing fires up first turn

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yeah, the neighbour at the barn has one from his Audi 80 TDI - thought it was faulty, but it turned out the crank pulley was moving... as diagnosed on here. Need to be careful though as they changed the pump every bloomin' year! My timing also moves around a bit when you look at the readings in VAGCOM - source of the lumpy idle I think, although it could still be injector related maybe...

I'm negotiating for the purchase of the remains of the neighbour's car, which was written off two weeks after he got it back running perfectly... including the spare pump and a few other bits.

Taking a few turns to fire up is LOTS better than it was before I fitted the fuel heater!

6. Brookster

when my pump was worn i advanced the Timing to compensate, this worked for a while until it totally went.

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Forgot to post these - pics of the fuel heater. I wrapped it in a heat blanket to make sure it keeps the heat in, and doesn't damage any of the hoses next to it. It's protective sleeving for a wiring loom, that I had left over from the megasquirt conversion on the track car, which I opened out and wrapped round the heater. Before anyone asks, yes, I realised I needed the reflective side in the way, and changed it around [:$]

[​IMG]

Had to heat the 8mm fuel hose slightly to get it onto the original fittings. It wasn't very flexible in the cold, and I think the stock hose fittings are 9mm.

[​IMG]

Wiring is a bit of a temporary lash-up for now, still relayed and fused, but just not tidied it all up yet.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  8. Mike_H Forum Addict

It was properly cold this morning, btw. The car took about 10 turns of the engine to start, even with the heater, and cycling the glow plugs a couple of times.

9. Brookster

- 4 deg up North this morning , mine took a couple more turns than usual

Phatty's is working great with the D5W Eberspacher to pre -heat the engine and heat exchanger filter housing :thumbup:

Think i might make a coil out of 10mm copper and wrap it arround the filter , might also look at 12v DC Trace heating cable ;)

also checked my test barrells this morning the 100% SVO was like a barrell of lard , the 95% / 5% mix was still as thin as Derv

12v trace heating
    http://www.heattracing.co.uk/product-details/silicone-heater-mats-|-panels

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  10. Mike_H Forum Addict

Thanks for the mails you sent me on that stuff Brooky. Time is short at the minute, but I'll look into that stuff when I get a chance.

I've been trying to find a suitable adaptor to step down from the 20mm heater connections to an 8-10mm pipe. Can't find any. I'll probably ask Deano the magic welder to braze me some up, when he's got through the queue of roll cage jobs sat in his workshop.

- Electric heater for cold starts
    - Coolant fed heat exchanger for warm running.

I'm convinced that I get smoother running with warmer fuel. Too early to tell on the MPG still.

11. Brookster

Mike

i've just fitted larger fuel line to the filter to increase fuel flow , it was struggling at top end to pull the fuel through in the cold.

10mm ID 17mm OD , I used thicker wall pipe to hold the heat in the fuel

its done the trick

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

Mine seems to be OK, but I'm only trying to make around the standard 90 bhp. Probably lost a few ponies along the way as well, over the course of 174k miles, even though I've tried to put them back with a few tweaks along the way.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

Still haven't fitted the coolant heater. Anyone know a source to get a 20mm pipe connector with a reducer down to 8mm? I suspect I'm going to have to get one made.

14. Brookster

Update -

Been running KTC for ages and struggled with fuel flow when cold on got 1.2bar boost

Switched to Consumers pride veg oil 100% rapeseed and hey presto 1.5bar boost

switched back to KTC and suprise suprise 1.2bar max boost

the KTC is a mix of soya and rapeseed i think and furs up when cold , unlike Consumer pride which is 100% rapessed and doesn't furs up like the KTC.

:thumbup:

15. dubDREAD

dubDREAD Forum Member

comsumers pride for the win then , debating taking the plunge to FRYBRID!!??