"fsi timebomb"..

Discussion in 'FSI (inc. GTI 2.0T)' started by Matt82, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

2. lufbramatt Forum Member

jeez

wouldnt expect that sort of nastyness of a 19k engine

have heard lots of stories of injectors failing on the new 2.0 PD engines just outside warranty- at 400 each thats not fun. Wouldnt touch new cars with a bargepole at the mo.

178k ABF FTW - took the intake trunk off the other day and there was a tiny amount of mayo from the breather in there but the TB was still nice and shiny and the intake mani was spotless :)

3. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

You pretty much see that sort of thing on the inlet manifolds of any car that recirculates the exhaust gases back into the engine to help decrease exhaust emmisions.

Its particularly bad on Diesel engines, and why you see people blanking off/removing the Exhaust gas recirc valve. And seeing as the FSI engines are taking a lead in design from Desiel engines, only using petrol instead I'm not surprised to see that.

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165476&highlight=Diesel+blank

See post 6. Look familier?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

egr gunge is slightly different because the egr adds soot to the oil mist in the blow by.

on the rs4 engine, thats just a petrol fsi engine, surely there shoudlnt be any soot involved?

5. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

unfortunately this is normal, see it all the time as rallyeVR6 says mostly down to EGR

on mk5's a blanking plate can't be put on as the ECU picks up on measured gas's at MAF (both diesel & petrol
    had an FSI today with miss fitted gasket to EGR pipe which caused a fault code

only way is to alter the Maps for the EGR actuator

6. scottmk1 Forum Member

Isnt it due to the crap design of the cyclonic crankcase breather system?, I shall be stripping mine next time im home to see what its like in there.

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i saw a pic of the cyclone thing, id bet that the return to the sump gets blocked (looks like a tiny hose) hence the fook up.

8. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

Take a look down the inside of an exhaust and you will see the soot build up quite obviously. If you factor in a system that recircs some, even only a little bit, of exhaust gases back into the inlet tract, and you will get a build up of soot in there too.

All engines use alittle bit of oil in use, by fault or design, so a bit of soot + some oil and you are garentee'd that mess to build up on values and the inlet manifold.

Yet another fantastic idea from the world of reducing cars emmisions.

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

How does that work i got a 140bhp mk5 tdi

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

if thats the case, an effective catch tank would mean the soot would have nothing to stick to

11. scottmk1 Forum Member

Aye sorting out a decent breather system would help.

12. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Yes a better breather system will be better, the cyclone separation system is only on latest engines mk 5 fsi's/ TDI 140's don't have it that I've seen as yet

it's all in the remapping of ECU, i don't think many turners would alter this area (only a guess)
    As well as fuel / ignition & torque values on the later stuff, the EGR will have maps regarding the opening and closing of the valve. After 2004'ish the EGR is monitored as part of a emissions criteria
    bit of a downer really would you eat where your S***? why should your car! [:x] :lol:

13. Mikey C Forum Member

It is also due to the FSI, there is no fuel being sprayed at the back of the inlet valves cleaning them off. Been a problem on the mitsubishi GDi engines for many years, lots of GDi engined volvo owners pay stupid sums to have the head off and "de-coked"

Good old italian tune up should help, and i imagine the water down a vac pipe too. Or just don't drive it like an OAP

Mike

14. Collie Forum Junkie

water down a vac pipe? not heard of this can you expand?

Thanks

15. scottmk1 Forum Member

I would have thought there would be some kind of separation system on the newer mk5's, my audi is 3 years old and has it.

16. Mikey C Forum Member

17. micky1 Forum Member

good job i've sold my mk5 gti then

18. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That's the best answer.

I should ad that many later direct injection petrol engines with vvt, have the the EGR valve deleted, as you can create internal egr by swinging the cam timing ( normally inlet) around to be overlapped at after cold start or light loads. The gunk is caused by the full load PCV spraying hot oil into the injectorless intake path then cooling during stop/soak periods. Regardless, DI engines do have both a performance and emissions advantage than their Port Fuel Injected counterparts.
    Diesel VVT trails petrol development so many still use EGR along with advances in technology givening us piezo injectors, highpressure rails controlled by ECU strategy. This is an excess air engine with load controlled by fuel injection. Excess air means greater NOx or soot ( This also happens in stratfied petrol engines) Not good for emissions targets so EGR valve (as far as I know) important to inject inert exhuast gas, cooling combustion chamber temps and reducing NOx feedgas concentration enough to be absorbed by catalyst and NOx trap.

In one large car sumpermarket the chaps have a special name that decoded "FSI"
    Fulla Sheit Inside

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  19. Admin Guest

Would that be Cargiant?

20. Polog4tracer Forum Member

So is this down to VW not doing enough development on the FSI engine? Would have though this would have shown itself up during testing and development - how much testing mileage is done on new engine anyway?