Fuel gauge troubels

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by 16vkrNL, Apr 28, 2023.

1. 16vkrNL New Member

Just before MOT my fuel gauge gave out.
    16v KR, CE1

The gauge works when i short the
    purple/black wire to ground
    I have continuity in the purple/black wire up untill the cluster, so it's not a broken wire there.

the gauge still won't work. I don't have earth on the blue/brown wire and I'm not sure if that's supposed to be.

I have continuity with the blue brown wire from the pump to the black connector. Don't know where it should go from there.

I've also cleaned the copper feelers inside the fuel gauge/pump

Would appreciate a nudge in the right direction

Edit:
    Using a quick and dirty earth on the brown/blue wire and now the gauge works. However I want to properly wire it up, where does the brown/blue wire get its earth from?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2023
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the earth for lift pump should be tapped into main earth for main pump at the white 2 pin plug near the big black inspection plate in the boot

though you mention brown/blue, which makes me suspect someone has spliced a 4 pin ce2 fuel pump into your car, as originally it should be a 3 pin. chase the wiring for the splice, both the brown and brown/blue on the 4 pin should be tapped together to the point I mention above or you could run it all the way to the front and pop it to the claw above the fusebox if you prefer

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

iuf it all looks original, it may be that later run out models were wired with a 4 pin pump same as cars with digifiz dash (or maybe it has digifiz factory fitted?). I cant find any diagrams for normal GTI, but if it was wires like a digifant then the brown/blue goes to fusebox E/4, which is connected to B/4, then from there to a male spade on dash loom along with cluster & MFA stalk earth. then you have a female spade plugged into that which goes off to the side of the head

4. 16vkrNL New Member

The loom is original up untill the end where ive seen some signs of repair on the original wiring. for now ive attached a earth at the rear left earthing point (where the first aid kit would be) It works now.

Ive bought this loom off from ebay, wouldnt suprise me if it used to be a digifiz car