Fuel pump change?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Jackman1994, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jackman1994 Forum Member

The fuel pump in my ABF mk2 scirocco is making a hell of a buzzing noise, was told I need a new one as this ones pretty much done for. Its just an inline one mounted under the drivers side door. Rather than buying new one Ive got a Kjet inline 16v injection fuel pump lying about? Would this be the same or do I need to hunt out an exact replacement? They look near enough the same. Cheers:thumbup:

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

16v pump needs a fuel cell will not work inline mate

3. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

If you want to sell the 16v fuel pump I am interested Ray P

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

both mk1 and mk2 gti type pumps need a lifter pump in the tank plus ideally a swirl pot under the car to keep them happy, for the rocco you need a post-84 cab/rocco or g40 shape polo lifter pump assy to fit the tank. swirl pot can be had from the same car or a suitable aftermarket sourced.

plumb it up like so, ignore 35 if its on ABF management as thats only for kjet engines and run the pump pipe straight to the feed on the fuel rail. 1 is the feed to the engine, 2 is the return to the pot, 6 on the lift pump is the return back to the tank, 7 is the feed to fill the pot:
    [​IMG]

5. Jackman1994 Forum Member

It's running an inline pump at the moment? I've recently changed the fuel tank for a carbed model tank and it's fine, just makes the noise? The pump looks like number 36 on that diagram?
    Thanks for the replys!

6. rubjonny

yeah so you need a lifter pump in the tank plus an external swirl pot to supply the main pump, other wise it will be noisy just as you describe and eventually it'll die altogether :)

7. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay thanks, I'll look into it! Would you suggest any parts to buy or will any GTI bits do?

8. rubjonny

the swirl pot & lifter pump is fitted to injection cabrio and scirocco after 1984, and all G40 shape polos even the lowly SPI models :)

9. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay, cheers mate. So a fuel pump change alone would not cure the noise? How easy is it to fit the lift pump?

10. rubjonny

well if the pump has died then it will help with the noise, but without the lifter and swirl pot it is only a matter of time before it happens again thats the thing. lift pump drops straight in the tank, for wiring its just got 3 3 pin plug rather than 2 pin with an extra power feed for the pump, you splice that to the main pump power :)

11. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Okay cheers mate, that sounds relatively simple actually. Cheers for your help mate and any questions I will be sure to ask ;)

12. Jackman1994 Forum Member

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-2-SCI...573531?hash=item5b17939b9b:g:4nQAAOSwTapV3ah4

Hey mate is this the right kind of lift pump and does it literally just go in the tank or does it bolt somewhere? Hate too sound like an idiot but surely the electrics would get wet? Was thinking maybe its fitted to the top of the tank where the two pipes (labeled 10 in the diagram above) come from

And can the swirl pot just be mounted anywhere or is there anywhere you can suggest that would be easier to fit it?

13. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Where about are you I have my old mk2 16v tank with the lift pump and the extra wiring loom part for the external main pump. Based between Coventry and Leicester.

14. Jackman1994 Forum Member

I'm near Bristol in Somerset mate

15. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Well if you need any of the smaller bits I could post.

16. Jackman1994 Forum Member

What bits did you have in mind and what kind of price? Cheers mate

17. rubjonny

thats just the pump on its own, you need the full level sender assembly to attach it to if you don't have one aleady. mk2 level sender unit wont fit in a mk1/rocco/cab tank but the pump on the end of it is the same

18. Jackman1994 Forum Member

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
  19. Jackman1994 Forum Member

As I cannot find any mk2 scirocco gti level senders with lift pump?

20. rubjonny

no it wouldn't, it has to be from a post-84 mk1 cabrio or scirocco with fuel injection, or any g40 shape polo. the polo ones are slightly different as the plug housing points straight up so its a bit of a tight fit on the plug housing

getting a little tricky to find but they are out there. the swirl pot can be bought new for 60odd quid, or as i say a decent aftermarket one will do of a decent size, needs 4 ports on it if you want it plumbed like oem

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016