Fuel Pump Options for Mk2 1.8T

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Gloves88, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Gloves88 Forum Member

Wondering what fuel pumps others have used on a mk2 1.8T.....

I believe the most common option is the mk2 16v fuel pump but I think I read others are suitable too.

It's an AUM engine, standard injectors etc, will just have air flow mods + a map.

Questions are:
    1. Anyone got any pump recommendations? I fancied using something a little newer than a secondhand mk2 16v pump.

2. Are swirl pots required/recommended for cars that will only really see road use?

3. I was planning on just using the standard 8v in tank lift pump, will this be up to the job or does it need changing as well?

Thanks

2. vwd40 Forum Member

Here's what I did for simplicity, reduction of things to go wrong and performance capability :-

Go to a scrappy and get yourself a Mk3 fuel tank, tank straps, pump, filter and fuel lines. It'll take you about an hour to remove them. Mine were off a 1.6 and cost me 50. Tank & lines etc are the same regardless of if they are 1.6, VR6 etc

Remove your old tank & lines and install the new ones (replace the fuel filter and clean the tank out), 2-3 hours and straight bolt in with no modification to the Mk2 car or the Mk3 tank & lines.

Remove the fuel pump housing and pump, send this off to Vince at Stealth racing. For about 125 he'll modify the housing and fit a Walbro 225 pump, wired and piped in so it drops straight back in the tank. Your wiring on the car will still plug straight in so the gauge will work. Get the lines off the Mk3, they fit perfectly. This gives you easy 500bhp fuel capability, because it's in the standard housing it is baffled and doesn't need an accumulator.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Nikki256 likes this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

depends on the power levels you're after really, MK3 GTI/16v/VR6 pump is good for 280ish bhp

4. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

not sure about 8v in tank but 16v lift pump delivers 2.5ltr/min no load
    I would just install or reuse the k-jet pump setup.. that will be plenty

5. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Just out of curiosity, will the k-jet main pump plug in to the exisiting wiring on my 1991 digifant ?

And also is there any difference's between the k-jet & and digi lift pumps ?

Im sure the early lift pumps have different wiring plugs ?

Cheers

6. rubjonny

yep straight fit underneath with same plug on, no difference in lift pumps either. only difference is some have a different size inlet/filter, and pre-90 use a 3 pin plug and 90 have 4. tghe spec of them is all the same though :)

if you plan to use the k-jet pump on efi what i would do is bin the accumulator, filter and all the lines (or sell if in good nick) then buy a barbed m12 banjo adaptor off ebay. then you can use push fit fuel hose between pump and a digifant fuel filter, then mk2 digi under car fuel lines are a direct fit :)

7. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the info R.J. Will look into that :thumbup:

Ive just thought, when i say k-jet pump, do i use the 8v early one or 16v one, as they are both K-jet ?

[:[]...

8. rubjonny

either is fine they're the same :)

9. Richard Mk2

Sweet. Cheers R.J :thumbup:

10. KentGTiKR Forum Member

Ok. I have question connected with pumps too.
    Swaping AGU 1,8T to mk2. I have mk3 fuel tank. It needs a pump to be fitted, but I haven't got ABF/VR6. But in my donor car (audi A3) there's fuel pump still not removed.
    The question is.. Is it possible to fit AGU (Audi a3) fuel pump in mk3 tank ? :)

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Yes the A3 pump will fit in the mk3 tank if its from a TDI or lower spec mk3,the ABF/VR6 ones have a "cage" stuck to the bottom of the tank that will get in the way [8(]
    You'll have to swap/wire the plugs over for it to work the pump and it would be best to use mk4 style clocks if you want the petrol gauge to work.

I started with a 90 spec digi fuel set-up to run the car,then changed to a mk3 ABF tank,lines & pump,swapped the plugs over on the lift pump side to run it all.
    I'm not sure yet what it will flow when i fit a 4 bar FPR but i kept the under car fuel pump wiring so a high flow pump can be fitted and wired in easily and use the ABF as a lift pump to a swirl pot at a later date or if it can't cope at 4 bar.
    I only had to change 1 tank strap, and that was the smaller passenger side one.

Many ways of sorting this,so here are 2,you've just got to think of flow/pressure/BHP/fuel starvation if on track and the clocks you want to use for the gauge to work.