fuel pump probs

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by smartboyo, Aug 13, 2014.

1. smartboyo Forum Member

hey car is early mark two 86 8v k jet .fuel pump on under side was dead so i replaced it with a 16v one had lying about which i think is the same ?, have power to it cause can hear it but when i go to the meter head and slacken of the main fuel line nothing but when undo return line i have fuel , very strange and as far as can tell am plumbed in popper way round , have had chance to strip pump down in hope to find some thing , is there a value that could be stuck allowing the fuel to do this any help wood be great thanks j

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

i had this on my cab it turned out the non-return valve was to blame, the one off the 8v will swap no problems. its in the end of the pump itself where the fuel line bolts to. might be a clogged fuel filter though?

id expect fuel to come out of the return as the lifter pump will be fillign the resevoir up still even if main not workign, and once full it'll come out the fuel return to tank and to the engien bay if cracked loose

3. smartboyo Forum Member

thanks for help just logged on and read this, yes your right i toke non return valve out and cleaned, freed it up and now pump is working :).guessing the pumps dont like sitting on shelfs ,