Fuel Starvation

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by rich h, Oct 28, 2003.

1. rich h New Member

Wondering if anybody could help my mk1 gti suffers severe fuel starvation when cornering (not particularly hard) with anything bellow around a quarter of a tank of fuel. Does the mk1 have a lift pump in the tank as i have heard failure of said item can cause similar problems in the mk2.

Any help would be very much appreciated

2. rich h New Member

3. Danger Barry Forum Member

Let me know how you get on please coz mine does the same.

My garage suggested it could be a blocked filter in the tank but I checked and it doesn't have one. I had a new fuel pump recently which made no difference.

4. jamez Forum Member

there is a fuel pick up pipe inside the tank which has either fallen off or has simply rotten and fallen off. the end result is that when cornering the fuel all goes to one side and the result is a stalling motor. the solution is to open the tank via the inspection hatch located under the rear seat and replace the pipe, then alls well again

had the same problem 83 mk 1 1900

5. Danger Barry Forum Member

I had a look inside the tank on mine and there seems to be a pick up pipe which runs into the bottom of the swirl pot but it doesn't look rusty or anything [:s]

Do you think it's become detached elsewhere or something?

Also, where do you get a new pipe from?

Cheers

6. rich h New Member

thanks very much jamez i will have a look this weekend i hope this will be the problem as it is very frustrating

7. jamez Forum Member

i would imagine a replacement pipe would be available from a dealer or from a scrappie if it were in top condition. if the pipe is still attached i'd remove to check for splits or blockages then replace. if after this there is still a problem check for other problems with the fuel supply i.e. jamed filter e.t.c..but tipically the problems with stalling during cornering are due to this pipe within the tank.

8. Danger Barry Forum Member

Nice one, cheers :)