Fuel tank breather blocked ???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Insan3, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Insan3 New Member

my scirocco seems to have developed a problem recently, every time i take off the petrol cap to fill her up i have to pull quite hard on the petrol cap to get it off (yes it is unlocked :p ) just as it unseats there is a large rush of air noise as if air is being sucked into the filler neck, the air is being sucked in not blown out as i can feel it, i am assuming this isnt normal, any advice or suggestions greatly received.

thx

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I've had this on every single MK1 I've owned in the past. I never got to the bottom of it.

It even happens on my mother's Fiesta!!

I must be cursed. It never affexted the running of the car tho.

Sorry that doesn't help much.

3. Insan3 New Member

it does seem to have affected the cars running, especially at high revs as she is now reluctant to rev past 5,000. this now leaves me dawdling along in the slow lane at a max of 115 mph [:^(]

4. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

But you should only be doing a max of 70mph anyway ;)
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

5. jake Forum Member

take the cap off and see if it goes much better. Ive never got to the bottom of it either....

6. Insan3 New Member

will try her later tonight with the cap off and see if it makes a difference, if it does where is the breather for the fuel tank on a scirocco anyone ????? does it actually have a breather at all, and if so why is it now apparently blocked
    Edited by: Insan3

7. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

I remember taking off the breather system and the ball valve (next to filler neck under the rear arch). It wasn't blocked at the time, and the prob was still there afterwards.

I gave up in the end!!

If you do work it out, I'd love to know what it was.
    Edited by: harry_the_cake

8. jake Forum Member

my mates Corrado is a bugger to fill with fuel, we figured it was the breather as the nozzle cuts out due to the returned pressure in the filler neck. Anyhow we took the ball valve out and tryed to fill it with the breather open and it still didnt cure it. I'll be fct if I want to take the whole thing out and investigate so it'll stay.... b*stard.
    This car doesnt seem to suck when you take off the cap though.

9. spnracing Forum Member

My racer kept misfiring after 9-10 laps. I had the same symptom - petrol tank under pressure. We thought it could be affecting fueling so we dismantled all the breather pipes and re-checked everything - no difference.

In the end I changed the ballast resistor, coil, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, leads, cap and a load of wiring and the problem went away.

Maybe 'they all do that'.

10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Is there not a 1 way valve in the cap? Surely if the petol tanks under a vacuum you won`t get a good fuel supply?

11. Insan3 New Member

ok i changed the rubber ring gasket on the fuel cap as it appeared to have 2 on it. filled the car went for a good long drive n took cap off afterwards ......result the fuel tank is now under pressure not vacuum and she cruised it to 125 happily [8D]

12. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Don't tell me it was the cap all along!!! Anyways, I don't have the car now, but I'll remember for anyone else that asks.

13. Insan3 New Member

final update.......new fuel cap seal has done the trick car maxed out last night at a very reasonable 138 (according to my m8's digi speedo thingumy he has)
    am now once again a happy bunny [:D]

wildlife watch out