Fuel tank neck mounting bracket - can i be clever - or is it a bodge?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Eddie Tuke, Dec 8, 2021.

1. Eddie Tuke Forum Member

I've made a mistake I think.
    The story so far!
    The underside of my Golf was in amazing nick, so was originally just going to get sills, arches and a few minor dings repaired and the outside sprayed as a rolling shell, and do the underside myself after. Chose one of the best guys around, Paul from JP in Ford, Sussex for the paint job.
    But, (now I know how) these things develop as you go along. I had to take engine out (as the cambelt cover bolts were seized). So then the engine bay was stripped for fully painting too. (Engine and gearbox all rebuilt too while they were out).
    Then, now its getting serious, so to make it really nice I thought I'd extend the paint to door shuts and take the windows out, etc., so there were no visible respray edges.
    Then of course we found some holes round the screen when the rubbers came off and some rear turret corrosion. So had that all sorted and the turrets repainted, but it was all quite high on the turrets, so managed that without taking the fuel tank out at the time to do it.
    Then once the shell was all welded and solid, they sanded and filled every blemish and defect to start the respray. But there was a disastrous paint reaction from the primer, as the wrong paint had been supplied. So the paint company came and fixed it by taking the whole outer skin back down to bare metal and paying to respray it again at their expense. Nice guys. So now I've got a hell of a bare metal repaint job now. Beautiful.
    The issue!
    So back to the workshop to strip the running gear off, have the gear blasted and powder coated, and redo the body underside where it needs it with stone chip and wax.
    Everything comes off okay, and no major rude surprises, really. But when I take the fuel tank out, I find the filler neck bracket is badly corroded. Cant leave that.
    The dilemma!
    I've bought a new bracket, and Im sure I can cut the old one off cold if i'm careful and take my time.
    If I can avoid it, I dont really want to weld the new one on and for the heat blister all the resprayed turret on the inside.
    But can I bond the new one in, and/or maybe bolt it with a circle of nice s/s round headed bolts from the inside?
    Or shall I admit my mistake, swallow the cost and do it properly by welding it on then redo the weld-damaged paintwork inside?
    Anyone else done it without welding?

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I have bolted ours from the inside but it is a temporary fix and doesn't look good so I would not suggest that on your car which sounds it wants to be perfect.
    It is not providing much strength at that point as the weight is taken by the tank straps. There is only one bolt at that point anyway. I have no doubt bonding it in place would be fine, especially with something like Sikaflex. Let's face it most Supercars are just glued together nowadays.
    However!, If you welded and sprayed it's in an area where it would relatively easily hidden.
    Finally though, how long was it driving around with effectively no fixing due to the rust, is it really needed. The earthing point is more important to me.
    More confused now! Sorry ;)

3. Matt Golf Forum Member

Weld it in and do it properly. If you dont it will only catch up with you in the future. Plus you can make sure its properly sealed up to avoid future corrosion. Any impact on the paintwork inside of the car will be covered with Side carpeting/insulation anyway?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

use modern panel bond and you'll be fine. as said, the tank bracket takes no real load its just to hold the filler up in the right place

Vinnie and Tristan like this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I was going to do exactly that, ie bond and maybe a screw / rivnut on the one I'm working on, if it hadn't turned out to be too rusty...
    Wurth Bond n Seal or similar. You could argue it's stronger than a weld, as you cover a lot more surface area with the adhesive, than the few measly spot welds VW use.
    Said bracket is doing bugger all really. It's not like there's much pressure on it.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Modern cars especially those with composite panels use bonding methods on body structures so I can't see a problem. Could argue it's ok for them as the body joints are designed for that in mind, but yeah it's a bracket holding the plastic filler neck in the right place so it should be more than good enough

Vinnie and Tristan like this.
  7. Eddie Tuke Forum Member

Thank you all. I think I will bond it if the paint survives the removal process. Really grateful.