*fueling problems*urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Engines' started by r4byy, Dec 27, 2004.

1. r4byy New Member

listen up peeps.

as you know me lady friend has a 89 golf cab gti 8valve which recently has been having problems.(i think its a girl)

problem is with the fueling system(i think)

it started cutting out,whinning specially once hot and in 'start and stop' situations.

now ive recently changed the fuel pump (this cab has one, non injection types have two) which helped for a while.

recently problem started again,the whinning was back along the left hand side of the mrk 1 cab.

could this just be poo in the fuel tank??maybe a new fuel filter would solve this?what do you sparkies think it could be?

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

check the condition of the fuel filler neck,remove the cap and check for corrosion,if its ok and the main fuel pump is noisey check the condition of the intank pump,if the filler neck is corroded this will give you no end of problems with your fuel system and will req a full strip down and clean out

3. Unknown Forum Junkie

I thought the later cabs, from '84 onward, had a lift pump in the tank. and that the carb ones only had one pump on the engine. I stand to be corrected. If the intank one has failed or has the pickup blocked with rust from the filler nexk then it will cause main pumps to fail from the extra strain. Check the fuel filter too.

4. r4byy New Member

but vw have told me it has only one fuel pump!?

5. Unknown Forum Junkie

I'd bet a quid that if its got k-jet injection it'll have an intank pump. Have a look under the rear seat and lift the black roundy cover, if the connector on the sender unit has 3 wires to it then it has an intank pump. Its on a bayonet fixing so rotate it anticlockwise and carfully lift it all out and see (put your cigarette out before hand ;) ) and be carefull that the stariner doesnt fall off the end of the pump as its a right nusance to get them out of the tank again. you can test the pump on the bench realy easily
    Edited by: Unknown

6. r4byy New Member

by the way ive already had the cheaper version changed!was this the lift pump?the mechanic(local mechanic) assured me it does not have two types.
    is it difficult to tell, other than what you have said, regarding the three wires?

7. r4byy New Member

and how do you move the back seats!

8. Unknown Forum Junkie

looking at ETKA might mean that I owe you a quid... :lol: Still check the pickup for rubbish though, rusty fuel fillers cause lots of trouble, clogging filters and the like.

9. r4byy New Member

ah yes the filters.where abouts are they matey?thanks

10. Unknown Forum Junkie

as far as I remember the main filter is the large canister by the fuel metering head in the engine bay, the bit that all the injector pipes go to in the passnger side over the air filter. There is usually a strainer of somekind inside the tank. My knowledge of mk1s is very small, especially cabbies, I dont really know how to take the rear seat out.

11. r4byy New Member

so the strainer picks up all the poo and stuff im assuming.so should i check this first.or the filter?

12. Unknown Forum Junkie

check the strainer then see if the other one is ok.

13. Sciroccotune Forum Member

Had this exact problem a while ago, replaced the lines and everything!

Turned out to be the little filter on the in tank pump was covered in fine dust like stuff and was blocked

Cleaned it under a running tap and was fine for ever more (well till i hit a wall :lol:)

Easy to check,
    look under the rear seat find the black metal cover,
    remove 3 screws,
    twist the sender top being careful and noting position,
    Remove pipes noting position!
    lift to remove,
    clean
    replace

finished

14. r4byy New Member

hmm yes found this filter under the back seats in the same position as you state.thing is it looks clean as new.this could be due to the fact that its constantly in fuel! anyway went to halfords, apparently it's a vw part measuring 134mm long, so ill have to wait till it's open to get a new one.so you recon you just rinsed it under WATER!!!!really? :lol:

your joking right?

15. Sciroccotune Forum Member

Yeah I just put it under the tap and blasted it for a bit ;) Guess you could use a tin of carb cleaner etc..

Just dry it after, but a tiny bit of water will do nothing so dont worry..

Does that fuel pump prime with the ignition as it should.

Hope you get it sorted

16. r4byy New Member

'Does that fuel pump prime with the ignition as it should'

sorry mate not sure what you mean(im a little slow) do you mean when i start the engine?

it's fine when i start the engine, it's just usually once hot at junctions etc, it cuts out.(could it be something to do with the fuel PRESSURE!?)

anyway ive already changed the fuel pump(in this case there is just one) which seemed to work for a while, but the problem is back and the pump is coming to it's end(it's brand bloody new for heavens sake!) so the only conclusion ive come to is that sence ive changed the pump it's been working twice as hard, maybe three times shortening the life.

this shorly cannot be just down to a FILTER blockage???

17. Rahul Forum Junkie

he means when you turn the key, do you hear the fuel pump 'buzz'?
    When it buzzes it is priming

18. r4byy New Member

yes it does buzz.any other ideas?im going to rinse the filter down today! :p