fully charged battery: no ignition lights

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by harryvr6, Jun 3, 2023.

1. harryvr6 Forum Member

hi all from a very disappointed
    mk2 gti fan!

i have a fully charged 6 month old yuasa 3000 battery in my mk2 16v, just been to start it and ive got absolutely no dashboard/ ignition lights when i turn the key!?

ive checked fuse 18 for the fuel pump, all seems good, i always remove relay 67 from the car for security reasons, i did actually drop this onto the laminate flooring prior to re installing it, would this cause no ignotion lights though??

any help is greatly appreciated please if anyone has 2 mims time
    many thanks,
    harryvr6

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Have you got a multimeter? if so check battery voltage.

Check battery connections check earth strap

Doubt you could damage a relay, its for fuel pump right?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
    harryvr6 likes this.
  3. harryvr6 Forum Member

hi gvk and thanks for your reply .
    The car was returned to me having had lots of work done and it was running as sweet as a nut, new battery fitted as part of the work. It has been on my driveway whilst ive waited for some decent weather before i venture out in it and nothing has been touched since.
    I just assumed the battery was flat, i havent got a multi meter at the moment no as mine broke (cheap maplins one), yes the relay i dropped was the fuel pump one (67)

could it be the ignition switch maybe? just seems very odd this...

thanks harryvr6

4. harryvr6 Forum Member

im reading about acid stratification now whereby the battery appears charged but hasnt sufficient poke to start the car....

5. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’d pop yourself down to Halfords, tool station or whatever and grab yourself a new multimeter. That’s the best way to tell.

harryvr6 likes this.
  6. harryvr6 Forum Member

will do thanks for the reply, ive checked today again, and theres no power to anything, headlights etc...
    ill call to halfrauds one day this week
    thanks harryvr6

7. stephen stanyer Forum Member

Don't think it would be the ignition switch I think all that does is operates the starter motor all the dash lights should operate. Even a fairly new battery can suffer premature cell failure. Does the car have an imobiliser fitted?.

harryvr6 likes this.
  8. harryvr6 Forum Member

hi Stephen thanks for your reply . yes ive been on the yuasa website and it mentions the detioration of even newish batteries, stratification where the acid is stronger at the base of the battery and performance suffers. I think they are basically covering themselves as it goes on to say this isnt covered by any warranty!

ah the immobiliser... no its been binned (laserline) as it failed and left us stranded a few years ago outside a tesco!
    ive often found these anti theft devices cause you more grief!

thanks harry vr6