FUN way to clean your gearbox! (NOT 56k!)

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by TheSecondComing, Mar 30, 2004.

1. smithy Forum Member

I got mine looking like the top pic. All I did was scrape off the crap and use some degreaser, then ran over it with one of those wire brush drill attachments. Looks pretty dull now though :( should have painted it!

2. jbmg40 Forum Member

If this stuff is like the acid cleaner I've got left over from doing a stone
    floor in my house then it probably doesn't harm a lot of plastics/rubber. I
    wore some lovely marigolds for working with it (!) and avoided major skin
    trauma, so oil seals etc. should be ok I'd have thought.

3. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

yeah, used to use HCl in labs at uni. i'm not the most safety concious/ careful/ tidy worker - infact i'm a bit of a liability when it comes to chemicals, but i've been covered in all sorts and i've never needed to be resusitated.

remember i dropped a bottle of some acid type stuff (wish i could remember name of it - was highly corrosive, could only open it in a fume cupboard, and smoked when exposed to air!) and it spread all over the floor an started smoking. the lab had to be evacuated til it had dispersed enough - brought the floor up lovely and clean tho (read melted hard vinyl flooring) :lol:

got my ass kicked for that tho [8(]

EDIT: thinking it may have been dilute Hydrofluoric acid? it was kept in a teflon bottle anyway as it dissolves glass :lol:

Edited by: darrynK

4. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

darrynk you are a liability - You dropped Hydrofluoric acid on the floor? Step away form the PC with your hands up! SLOWLY! :lol:

5. daveybwoy Forum Member

HF will make your bones go rubbery if absorbed through your skin. (dilute HF won't fume)

We got all manor of acid at work hydrochloric, hydrofluoric, Hydroiodic, percholric.

6. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

HF is good for cleaning aluminium too, though - they use it diluted in the stuff used to bring up aluminium diamond sheeting shiny on ferry car decks......

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

I didn't as much 'drop' it, more 'missed' it... ;)

my 'Tom Cruise Cocktail move' didn't go as smoothly as planned :lol:

8. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Hmmm...:clap: ;)

9. Admin Guest

i haven;t laughed so much at one thread!!!!! :lol:

we have all sorts of potent poo here at work, but i can't be arsed to take me box out to do so.

10. OKU

OKU New Member

I agree last time i was there i had little kids chucking bricks at me :( (lovely place shankle Road)or spelled something like that;)

11. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

little kids throwing bricks i can deal with - it's the thought of TSC with a machette that gets me... :lol:

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That would be the Shankill Road. Not exactly renowned for being friendly. Were you wearing a Celtic top at the same time, just to make it more fun?

13. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Is going to get you. ;)

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Picked up a 25 litre barrel of full industrial strength 36% stuff today. What fun! decided to try it out on an old ally heatsink from a Digi ECU - about an inch of acid in a big bowl, dumped the heatsink in - garden and half the neighbourhood filled with acid fumes. That stuff is seriously powerful. If you aren't invincible and acid-resistant like myself, I would very, very seriously recommend going for a lower concentration! Even when you unscrew the cap from the container, it pours out white vapour like the test tubes in a lab from a crap film..... and with a bit of ally in it, it goes mad. The stuff bubbled like mad, overflowed the bowl (etched my patio nice and clean!), and generally threatened to kill the entire town with acid vapour. Ended up having to dump a carboy of water over the whole lot to end the mayhem. The heatsink came out like brand new, by the way....... good stuff, but use with caution. Came to 34 for the 5 gallon barrel. and if you just brush or pray it on, that'd last you forever. I'll have before/after pics next week, I hope. All in all, a very worthwhile purchase - even just to leave the barrel where the neighbours can see it with the "Deadly poison, don't let anyone have it, ever. Especially not the drunk guy next door" label in clear view.....

15. greg s Forum Member

Well, it obviously works for Him. :lol:

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You are obviously attending the wrong church. :lol:

17. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

So you killed your neighbourhood....

... but at least your heatsink is nice and clean! Result! :thumbup:

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

My thoughts exactly. :lol:
    They say you can't put a price on a life - I put a price on several thousand. The price was a nice clean heatsink!

19. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Theres always DAZ or similiar washing powder hot water and a good stiff brush. Really good results and no threat to the world. ;)

As for the Northern Ireland comments earlier.... I love NI! [:D] Belfast and Londonderry definatley stink a bit but the rest is great! :lol:

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Bangor's best tho, because I live there - and the rest of the town died in some wierd "acid fume" event a while back, so it's pretty quiet...... :lol: