Fuse box smoking!!

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by theboysmiffy, Mar 24, 2023.

1. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

You are probably right, looks that white/purple wire had a good pop off the neighbours as well.
    It doesn't look like you have a massive loom to replace even less so if there is redundancy in there.

Mark and photograph everything and just start removing and replacing one at a time - no reason in the world you need anyone other than yourself to tackle that.

theboysmiffy likes this.
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Ouch that’s nasty and unfortunate. Perhaps buy another loom and start with that?

theboysmiffy likes this.
  3. theboysmiffy

theboysmiffy Paid Member Paid Member

Just found out the original starter is switched live and earth so that explains what has happened. Is there a good place to buy the correct wire to build the new harness? How do I determine the wire thickness?

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Hold up, switched earth on the starter??

5. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

If you’ve got a Haynes or Bentley with wiring diagrams they tell you the cross section diameter in millimetres of each wire. Most are 0.5mm but obviously the higher consumers will be thicker wires. If you don’t have a manual I can take photos of mine and post them here.
    I’ve been ordering wire from eBay for my electric mirror retro fit. The link below has most colours with loads of trace colours available.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/29335399...ar=592202992310&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

theboysmiffy likes this.
  6. theboysmiffy

Switched live (red/black) and an earth (black)

7. theboysmiffy

I will dig out my Haynes and see if it is right for my Rocco if not I will take you up on that offer thank you. Thanks for the link I will give then a try.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the only earth on starter is thru the casing back to the battery. the black wire in your loom is cranking live fed thru the solenoid trigger, so it shouldn't melt like that unless as said it shorted to earth somewhere. the fact its done it all the way back to fusebox on the white/purple makes me think the terminal you used on the new starter was an earth for the solenoid on the casing not the cranking live...

but it doesnt matter now, the entire white/purple and black can go in the bin, as can many of the wires in the original loom now you have the new management. So what I would do now, is chase each of the damaged wires in your engine loom to see where they go, if nowhere, -> bin. so for example there will be a couple thin red/blacks which goes off to a couple 2 pin plugs with green/white wires, these are for the kjet cold start system and can go. another pair of 2 pin plugs with red/white and brown for the kjet warm up reg and aux air valve, again bin

tbh once you've pulled the kjet bits out there wont be a lot left

theboysmiffy likes this.
  9. theboysmiffy

Got the loom out and going through it. Going to make a new one and have it more concealed. Most of the wires are redundant which is great but I have melted the wiper loom too so that will get redone. There is a green connector on the side of the head under the coolant outlet. Does anyone know what this is for? Looks like it’s attached to a switch/sensor. Part number 022906231.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
  10. rubjonny

whats the wire colours? could be the 'too hot/cold' warning light thermoswitch if its a really early car. whats the part number of the thing its plugged into? my moneys on that anyway if its in the side flange

theboysmiffy likes this.
  11. theboysmiffy

Two wire colours are red/white trace and brown, part number is for the green plug

12. rubjonny

aha, thats old kjet stuff which is no longer needed

theboysmiffy likes this.
  13. theboysmiffy

Brilliant, the more I don’t need the better. Thanks