G60 conversion

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by spankey, Oct 1, 2018.

1. spankey Forum Member

Cheers mate that sorted it, right last question (I think ) trying to turn the engine over and the start solenoid is clicking but not tuning the engine over, battery is good and I've had the starter off and checked it and seems ok could this be something to do with the wiring do you think ?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

might be poor battery cabling, as a test put a jump lead from battery negative to one of the bolts holding starter to gearbox. if no difference, try from live to live stud on starter. if either/both fixes it, then clean/upgrade your cabling.

I use mk3 1.8-2.0 cables on my swaps, bit beefier and nicer terminal design. for the negative side you have 2 designs one like mk2 which has a middle terminal which goes on the stud behind the battery, or one which is plain but with extra cable from battery to stud behind battery. either will work, and if you have 1st type but ring doesn't reach you can make it like 2nd type, or make short run from middle ring to stud.

the later mk2/3 has the gearbox earth to a stud on one of the top 2 bolts holding gearbox to engine, make sure you have that setup. if not grab the bolt from the mk3 donor as well.

if everything has been cleaned up and painted, make sure you bare metal the surfaces. so bell housing to engine block, starter face to gearbox etc plus alternator to bracket, bracket to engine block.