G60 Engine Build - Lessons Learnt & Dream Spec

Discussion in '8-valve' started by JMG60ED1, Aug 14, 2019.

1. JMG60ED1 New Member

Hi All,

I'm new here and hope you can help me!

I have an Edition One G60 with an original engine that is currently fitted with removable mods (chip/pulley/etc). I've just bought a spare engine that I now intend on tuning and building to a dream spec. The original engine will be kept to the side for when I put the car back to stock.

Now that we are almost 30 years since these cars have been built I am hoping some of the old timers/experts who have gone through the pains and struggles of learning whats best for the G60 setup can help guide me to build the ultimate engine!

I'm not a mechanic and won't personally be building it, what would be most useful for me is a list of things i need and general advice to basically take a standard G60 PG engine to a dream spec. The engine itself will be built by professionals and ultimately custom mapped - i'd like to source the parts and get a good understanding of what I am building and what to expect.

My dream spec is not an all out power house, it needs to be completely solid and reliable - this is absolutely fundamental to the build. I already have a spare stage 4 charger that can be used for the build. I don't have limitless pockets, but I don't want to cut any corners and will take my time. I'd also like to retain a look of OEM in the bay where possible.

Appreciate it if you have made it this far down the post and look forward to any advice!

Thanks,
    Jack

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

I’d recommend a chat with Mart aka HOTGOLF and GasNGears.
    His main specialty’s are gearbox refurb and mods but he knows a thing or two about engines :thumbup:

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I just built a ported head for one. A quick clean up of the head, back cut the valves, 3 angle seats etc, all help. A decent cam then, and ideally a set of 1.0mm oversized pistons help with reducing valve shrouding. It's easier get aftermarket ones than oe anyway.
    A high quality head gasket, slightly lower temp stat, and a water wetter additive are no harm, nor is an air to oil oil cooler. These girls run hot.