G60 Rad, or VR6 Golf

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by VeeDubbed.co.uk, Nov 30, 2004.

1. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Well, hoping to find some owners of Golf VR6's and Corrado G60's and maby someone who has owned both.

Currently Driving a Corrado 16v it just seems a bit slow to be honest. it looks like it should go quick but it just dosent seem to go that quick.

I cant fault it otherwise I really like it to drive it's just great, handiling is good too.

I have driven a mk3 it was a 1.9 TD though. but it felt like I was in a 4x4 Compared to the corrado and it was pooe on corners but I cant really compare it to a VR6 as it is probably far from it.

Just wondering what would be my best choice for another car. I know golf owners are likely to say golf and corrado owners the corrado but maby I can get some good and bad points on both.

I Have 1 thing in the golfs favour already and that is the insurance is cheaper than both my 16v and what a G60 will be.

but I wont take that in to too much consideration.

I Have heard that the mk3 isnt the greatest in the cornering department. but I dont know ?

I have always owned a VW but at the moment im really trying to come up with reasons why. The amount of problems I have with them is unreal,

im not really knocking my corrado but putting the 1.8 16v Engine in a car weighing that much and calling it a Sports Coupe was a joke. how can it be classed as a sports coupe when average joe in his 1.4 Corsa can sit on your bumper all the way to 100mph.

I Pay Ridiculous amounts of money on insurance. bits for it cost a fortune, and it dosent go that quick.
    and the sad thing is I could probably get a much newer,quicker and better handiling car for the money im going to spend. but i have a thing preprogrammed in my head that screams VW! VW!

Someone tell me a Corrado G60 or VR6 Golf is going to make everything in the world right again.

Edited by: VeeDubbed.co.uk

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

have you thought about a vr6 corrado? best of both worlds then!

I had a corrado g60, with a bit of tuning they can be as fast as a golf vr6. and from that point onwards they are actually cheaper to tune to a given output than the equivalent vr6 engine, with already being force induced.

I've driven a mk3 vr6, and it has to be said the engine makes up for the car :p

If I were you, I'd be looking at Corrado VR6s if you can afford it. Corrado G60 or golf VR6 is a very tricky decision, standard the vr6 will be faster and sound better, but the corrado will handle better and for a small outlay be just as fast. I'd say in standard form, golf vr6. if you plan to modify, Corrado G60.

3. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Well the Corrado VR6 was the first thing on mmy mind, but i just cant insure it and i couldnt afford a good one if i wanted to noone will take on a 19 Year old apprentice plant fitter.

Thats what I couldnt understand, when I was getting quotes

Golf VR6
    Rover 220 Turbo
    Saxo VTS (god forbid)

Were all a lot cheaper than my Corrado 16v.

i was going to get a refund of around 660 Quid for a Saxo VTS.!
    think it was just a couple hundered for a VR.

and a Corrado G60 was going to mean I had to pay the company a extra 20

4. Jeff Forum Junkie

well I went for the corrado g60 when I was 19 [:D] had it for 6 years too!

rallye vr6 was the only thing i dared replace it with ;)
    Edited by: Jeff

5. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

Only thing putting me off another corrado is just the insurance and i have had a lot of problems with my valver, guy must of seen me comming, guess I wont buy a car that quickly again.

I just really cant decide what i want to do.

6. tandino Forum Member

Ive got both - 92 Corrado G60 and a 97 VR6 Highline - as a daily driver the Golf will win hands down - it was easily as quick in standard form as my Missus's pulley'd G60 Corrado - now ive fitted a charger to the VR its not exactly fair.
    You can sort the handling out fairly easily for a few hundred quid -Konigsports or similar - once thats done the VR is a sorted car - alright it doesnt have the turn in of the G60 but then its alot heavier up front - still very competent though...
    All down to what you intend to use it for - as a drivers car for pleasure then yes the Corrado 'feels' more special but for a bit of comfort and newness the Golf will gove you what you want.

Pete.

7. AndrewF Forum Addict

but on the other hand a few hundred quid spent on a suspension kit and increasing the camber will make the mkIII handle very very well indeed.

8. b'locks Forum Addict

Probably going to be accused of being bias here but I'm not....

I've driven a Corrado VR6 and my Golf VR6 was actually faster, I was a bit disappointed tbh [:s] But then mine was roaded with 197bhp (standard bar zorst and induction kit) and it's lighter than a Corrado so I guess that's why?

I've also raced a VR6 Corrado at inters, completely f*cked up at the start and caught the f*cker up! I would have whooped him if I knew how to launch a car properly! [:s]

The Corrado handles better standard but you've only got to put a decent suspension kit on a mk3 golf and the handling is just as good as any other golf.

Therefore Corrado VR6 = overrated. :)

So going by that comparison I'd say the VR6 Golf was better than a G60 Corrado as it's not even as good as a VR6 Corrado.
    Edited by: b'locks

9. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, when i was buying my car i had the same option...'rado g60 or golf vr6. i couldn't quite afford a 'rado vr6.

i spoke to a few places, think amd was one, and they all said the golf vr6 would be more reliable. hate to think how unreliable the g60 would have been going on how the vr's been, but i think i got unlucky with mine.

main reason i chose the golf is that it felt so much newer than the 'rado.

10. Jeff Forum Junkie

no golf will ever outhandle its equivalent scirocco / corrado guys. they have a lower centre of gravity.

what I mean is, a corrado vs a mk3 golf with the same engine / suspension / wheels / brakes etc (basically same car different body) there is no way the mk3 will be as nice to drive round corners.

11. b'locks Forum Addict

Who said a golf would outhandle a corrado though? [:s]

12. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

i like the handiling on the corrado, it's verry nice to drive it goes where you want it to (within reason) not sure what suspension is on it maby it's just standard with some lowering springs, it is lower though. I just thought it was a little tail happy.

But cant really compare it to the TD Golf. it just feels all floaty and not really nice compared to the corrado but maby with some sorted suspension it is a different animal, in saying that a VR is bound to have a more sporty feel than a 1.9 TD. maby thats putting me off some.

Maby I need to have a shot in a VR Golf just to see what like. im assuming the G60 woul;d be simmalar to the 16v but the power would come in a good bit lower down the rev range than the 16v

But it's all verry well having a car thats lightning fast but if it cant go round corners what's the point in it ?

I know what a corrado is like so maby I need to try out a VR, then make a decision
    Edited by: VeeDubbed.co.uk

13. b'locks Forum Addict

A standard Golf VR will feel too soft and have too much body roll around corners, they were built high speed autobahn cruises....you can't really take full advantage unless you get a decent kit on it and lower it.

14. sefton Banned

I've just bought a golf vr! nice and fast...but handeling soft and not very good! wish I still had my 16v corrado tho! ok its not the quickest car on the street, but it was a little special!

everyone used to comment on it! even strangers!

Corrado...get one soon its becoming harder to find decent ones...and will only become harder!

if I was choosing between a mk3vr and a (good condition) corrado...I'd go for corrado everytime!

15. Jeff Forum Junkie

sorry just meant why settle for second best.

I guess what it comes down to is a golf VR6 will be a bit faster in a straight line than a Corrado G60 but for a few hundred pounds the G60 will be snapping at its heels in a straight line. And still eating it for breakfast round the corners. Spend the same few hundred on a golf VR6's suspension, and it still wont keep up with the Corrado round corners.

So if money is a consideration, get the Corrado. If its not, well you should be buying a Corrado VR6 instead of a Golf VR6 or Corrado G60 :p The only exception to this is if you prefer "new" cars over drivers cars, or you want the extra practicality of the Golf.

If you have thousands to spend on tuning though, then any VR6 with that amount spent on it will end up so damn fast in a straight line it wont matter what you do to the G60 ;) (its just preferable to do all this to a Corrado in the first place in my opinion).

16. Jeff Forum Junkie

oh if you buy a G60 engined car though, be very careful about the charger, get a receipt for a recent rebuild if the owner claims its been done!

17. VeeDubbed.co.uk Forum Member

It's a hard decision like. I think the shell I have is a good un but the rest is gone, engine has done 168k just wondering is should maby keep it and start saving pennies and get on with building my 16vt rather than selling up and starting again.

but insurance comes in to the equasion there.

I mean some people kinda take the urine of how slow my car is but i just say to myself they wouldnt touch me in the corners ;c) and in my oppinion corners is where the funs at, whats the fun of going in a straight line ?

but i still would like something with a little bit more go about it.