G60 still rolling when in gear.

Discussion in 'Corrado' started by Hoppum, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hoppum New Member

Hi guys.

Long story short one of my handbrake cable tubes is split so I can't leave the handbrake on overnight as it'll freeze on. I've been leaving the car in gear as my driveway is sloped but I've come out twice now and found it had rolled down and was blocking the pavement in front of the drive.

On further investigation I can roll it down the drive by pushing the front wheel round with my feet. I've got a whining clutch release bearing at the moment but the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, I can put it in 5th at about 15mph, floor it and the revs still take an age to pick up.

Any ideas? Is it just the low compression of the engine?

2. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

Put a brick under the wheel

3. Hoppum New Member

Obviously.

Looking for what's causing it.

4. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

what's it like if you put it in reverse?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

theres only so much leaving it in gear can do, its not like you can lock the engine it will still turn over ok. if anything I'd have thought G60 is worse because it has lower compression so lower resistance to turning over.

think about what happens when you bump start a car, it doesnt instantly stop when you lift the clutch :lol:

6. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

my mate had a capri when we were kids. (18) he used to carry a brick in the footwell. the "handbrick"

7. Admin Guest

:lol: I used to have a Capri and did the same on hills after I found it had rolled away one day :o

8. ^neo^ Forum Junkie

2cv's were notorious for it. Handbrake on disc brakes wasn't a good idea when your brake discs were in the engine bay, became self releasing once the discs had cooled after a long run!