G60 Throttle Body Failure..

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by KeithMac, Oct 29, 2023.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, my G60 throttle body failed (on the drive luckily).

The throttle cable retainer snapped.

Looking at how thin it is I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did!.

This is a spare I've just bought but will be modifying my original and making an all metal retainer.

There's 3 butterfly return springs it has to pull against so doesn't seem up to the job really (for me at least).

20231029_143111.jpg

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Well what a pain that was!.

Had to weld and cool the throttle cable arm so the quadrant didn't melt!, took ages.

There was no plastic at all where the end broke, not very substantial at all.

Won't win any beauty contests but won't leave me stranded at the side of the road either..

20231029_170441.jpg

20231030_093104.jpg

20231030_101542.jpg

3. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Looks absolutely spot on and strong too, think you're being a bit harsh on yourself!

You'll likely not remember, but I converted an Audi 80 (B2) throttle body to fit a MK1.

When I say converted, it was really just a case of swopping over the equivalent part to the one that failed on your G60's.

I've packed up everything for the year, so unfortunately can't put my hand to the now redundant Audi bit to take a photo for you.

However from recollection it's not that disimilar and may well fit you TB.

Below is a piccie nicked from the inter-web but I'm struggling to picture yours placed against it, would need them infront of me to do that.

The most obvious difference is the additional arm for the stop screw, but that'd be easy removed.

Not that you need it now that you've sorted things, but if you ever see a cheapie Audi TB (or maybe some other VW / Audis shared similar set ups) you might be able to scavenge the part?

80 TB.JPG

KeithMac likes this.
  4. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Does look similar, I wonder why they did the G60 in plastic on the end?.

There's a throttle stop under the quadrant on the G60 arm but that one above would fit with a bit of modification, thanks for the info.

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I went belt and braces (post number 2), I'm keeping the spare throttle body original for now but if I do use it I'll be doing the same modification first.

The plastic throttle cable retainer doesn't seem up to the job (to me at least).