G60 Tips when buying

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by foxyjay, Nov 8, 2013.

1. foxyjay Forum Member

Going to view a G60 (ex-corrado) engined very late mk2 GTi on Sunday.

Not know much about G60's at all I've done some reading up on service/rebuild intervals.

The unit in this car is supposedly bone stock however, how would I be able to tell easily if it's servicable?

What I don't want to have to do is get a 500 rebuild done as soon as I get it.....assuming I do.

Any tips / advice welcomed [:s]

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Totally random and potentially useless thoughts:

The Digifant system can be susceptible to various faults on these older engines/cars so give it a good drive if you can, preferably started from cold, testing the car under different load conditions. Try to ensure that items such as the lambda sensor and idle control valve are connected (as otherwise may suggest a fault is being disguised or the engine just isn't set up right). (If / when you own the car, check the little brass screw in the idle valve has not been tampered with to make it closed when off - it's not supposed to be; it's meant to be closed at 20% duty.)

See if there is documentation to support the last overhaul of the supercharger. Perhaps you could remove the supercharger to throttle hose to inspect for debris and oil. If there is absolutely nothing to prove the charger has had a service within the recommended service interval then IMHO drive it home gently and get the charger rebuilt ASAP - I say that from bitter experience!

Check the fuel hoses around the fuel rail. Original ones are old and brittle now and there have been fires on G60s because of this.

Remember that a standard MK2 Golf with a G60 engine is not the same as a factory G60 as a factory G60 has many chassis differences.

You'll want to check if the car has been converted to 02A transmission.

Good luck and hope you've found a good one!

3. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member