G60 turbo - what alternator setup?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by conor2469, Jun 4, 2014.

1. conor2469 Forum Member

I am assembling a G60 turbo engine. I am wondering what alternator setup people use. I took the alternator mounting bracket off a 1.8 8v carb (GU) engine I had, however it doesn't work as the two bolt holes it mounts into on the side of the g60 block are already used to hold a coolant passage blanking plate on the side of the G60 block. Am I limited to the mk3 setup?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

by the sounds of it yeah, unless the old alternator can be mounted somehow but the bracket is part of the charger carrier right?

3. conor2469 Forum Member

That's right Johnny, I didn't want to bolt on this big, awkward, now redundant charger bracket just to mount an alternator! I think i will have to upgrade to the mk3 setup. Am I right in saying that this requires the MK3 alternator, alternator bracket, mk3 alternator adjuster, mk3 ps pump, ps pump bracket, mk3 crank pulley and the mk3 style belt?

4. rubjonny

yeah all of the above, though te g60 pas pump setup may be usable unless again its part of the alt/charger bracket? at least parts are easy to get these days :)

5. conor2469 Forum Member

I think I've discovered how I can use a standard 8v gti alternator mount on my g60. See in this photo here:

[​IMG]

The black cooling port blank plate has a recess that allows space for the bracket to slide in under it, and the both share the two mounting holes. My g60 just had a flat plate. So I just need to get the blanking plate with that shape....

6. rubjonny

thats a mk1 golf engine bracket unfortunately! you may be able to make something up but iirc the blanking plate has a recess for the seal doesnt it? maybe chop the end of the blank off then weld a flat bit of metal on it, prob need to have it skimmed after as it could warp

7. conor2469 Forum Member

Hi Johnny, so you are saying that is a mk1 blanking plate in the photo? The plate on my G60 is just a flat plate, the rubber seal sits on the block side and seals against the flat piece of plate.

8. rubjonny

its not a blanking plate thats the side mount for a mk1, i.e. one of these:
    [​IMG]

if your blank is just flat then it should be pretty easy to make something up I recon :)

9. conor2469 Forum Member

Perfect, thanks for clearing that up

10. rubjonny

if you have patience you could possibly chop the round bit off, you might find some mk1 20v or g60 owners may be interested in the bit you chop off for makign their own custom braket :)

11. conor2469 Forum Member

Hi Johnny, last night I trimmed the alternator bracket to allow space for the blanking plate underneath it, managed to get all the holes to line up!

12. rubjonny

good stuff :)