Gaskets...

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Dipesh51, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Hi Guys,

I changed the rocker gasket and manifold gasket about a month ago, and now the car won't idle properly and is mis-firing, i broke the clip of wires that plug into the dizzy when it was removed and have DOCTORED it, can this be causing it?? can an air leak in the dizzy cause the car to mis fire and not idle correctly??

Thanks

2. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Oh i forgot to mention, that i also lost a bolt from the bracket that holds the manifold in place at the back.... where can i get a replacement?? any ideas??

3. Dipesh51 Forum Member

Please help!!!!

4. theboymike Forum Junkie

My first thoughts would either be an air leak due to a poorly fitted manifold gasket / missing bolt, or a problem with the wiring on the dizzy being unsupported and possibly fatiguing.

Look for air leaks by spraying WD40 around the manifold / head joint while the engine is running, and listen for any improvement - the oil should temporarily seal any leaks and point you in the direction of their location.

Likewise with the dizzy, try gently waggling the wires while the engine is idling and listen for any improvement. What do you mean by "doctoring" the wires? Might be worth replacing the clip.

For parts (bolt and clip) I'd got straight to VW...

5. Fray16v Forum Member

i had a problem like this with an 8v i owned a few years ago and it was the rotor arm and dizzy cap needed replaced after that the car was fine.

the symptoms were a bad backfire & lack of power

6. Dipesh51 Forum Member

I am going to change the cap and arm today, does anyone know if there is any way of testing the dizzy itself?

7. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

You forgot to mention what engine you're talking about... But from the mani bracket at the back I'll go with a 16v [:p]

It's almost definitely that plug on the dizzy causing this, try wrapping a zip tie round it to make sure it's on right. Worked for me for 20,000miles :lol: